This homemade seasoned salt can be used in any recipe calling for seasoned salt and may replace some other common seasoning blends. Feel free to adjust with more or less of any of the ingredients to suit your taste. Omit the curry, dill weed, or celery salt if you'd like. Besides being less expensive, versatility if one of the biggest advantages of making your own blend. See the tips and variations for some additional ideas and a 6-ingredient option.
For a spicier blend, add about 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper. Double the garlic powder for more garlic flavor.
Use this basic seasoned salt blend to add flavor to an otherwise bland soup, stew, or skillet dish. Sprinkle some on a roast instead of salt, or use it to add zesty flavor to roasted potatoes or root vegetables. Homemade mixes make great gifts, too!
- 6 tablespoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt or garlic powder
- 2 1/4 teaspoons paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- Put all ingredients into a mini food processor, coffee grinder, or small blender container and process on low speed until the mixture is fine and well blended.
- Use this seasoned salt as a table salt or use it in any recipe that calls for seasoned salt or other seasoning blends, such as a salted Cajun seasoning.
- Store seasonings in a tightly covered container in a cool, dry place. Heat can hasten flavor loss and moisture can ruin spices.
- For even fresher, more intense flavor, buy whole dried spices grind your own.
- Check expiration dates on your herbs and spices before you add them to the seasoned salt blend.
- Store your spice blend in a tightly covered glass or metal tin for best flavor.
- Scale the recipe up and give seasoned salt as gifts.
- Spoon herbs and spices out with a dry measuring spoon.
- Add 2 tablespoons of freshly ground black pepper, if desired.
- Simple (6 Ingredient) Seasoned Salt Blend: Combine 6 tablespoons of salt, 1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper, 2 teaspoons of sweet paprika, 2 teaspoons of garlic powder, 1 teaspoon of onion powder, and 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper.