Serve this classic thick Southern-style gravy over hot split and buttered buttermilk biscuits. Biscuits with gravy make a great breakfast with fresh or spiced fruit, or serve along with a complete breakfast with eggs or a breakfast casserole. The dish also makes an excellent special brunch dish.
Serve the southern sausage gravy from a slow cooker or chafing dish and keep split buttered biscuits warm until serving time.
- 8 ounces breakfast sausage (hot, sage, or country)
- 2 tablespoons shortening or lard
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups milk
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Dash of cayenne pepper, optional
1. Cook breakfast sausage in a medium skillet over medium-low heat, stirring and breaking up with a spatula. With a slotted spoon, removed the browned crumbled sausage to a paper towel-lined plate. Add 2 tablespoons shortening, vegetable oil, or lard to the drippings in the skillet. Add flour, stirring until blended and bubbling.
2. Gradually add 1 1/2 cups milk; continue stirring and cooking until thickened and bubbly.
3. Add the crumbled sausage. If too thick, add a little more milk.
4. Taste and add salt and pepper. Stir in a dash of cayenne pepper, if desired.
5. Serve over hot split and buttered biscuits. Serve sliced tomatoes or fresh fruit with these, or serve as part of a bigger breakfast.
You Might Also Like