This easy stuffing mix is similar to the famous, convenient top-of-the-stove mix. It's an excellent use for day-old bread, and you probably have most of the seasonings on hand.
For more chicken flavor, make the stuffing with low sodium chicken broth instead of water, or add 1 teaspoon of chicken bouillon granules or base to the water.
Serve the prepared stuffing along with a chicken, pork, or turkey dinner, or use it in a casserole.
- 6 cups soft fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 heaping tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 5 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1/3 cup dried celery flakes*
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 scant teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf marjoram
- To Make the Stuffing:
- 1 1/4 cups water or use low sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups stuffing mix
- 3 tablespoons butter
- salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Spread the bread out on two baking sheets. Bake for about 10 to 15 minutes, or until it is dry and crumbly.
- In a large bowl or large plastic food storage bag, combine the breadcrumbs with the dried parsley, minced onion, celery flakes, thyme, pepper, sage, and marjoram.
- To prepare the stuffing, bring 1 1/4 cups of water or chicken broth and 3 tablespoons of butter to a boil. Stir in the 3 cups of stuffing mix. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Taste and add salt, as needed.
- Fluff with a fork and serve.
Chicken and Dressing Casserole Made With Stuffing Mix
- Prepare the dressing following the instructions above with 1 1/4 cups water or broth, 3 tablespoons of butter, and 3 cups of stuffing mix.
- Heat the oven to 400 F. Spray a 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a bowl, combine 1 1/2 pounds cubed boneless chicken breasts with 1 pound of frozen mixed vegetables, 1 can (10 3/4 ounces) of condensed cream of chicken soup, and 1/4 cup of sour cream.
- Spoon the chicken mixture into the prepared baking pan. Top the mixture evenly with the prepared stuffing.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked.