If your recipe calls for taco seasoning and you don't have a package in your pantry, use this easy-to-make substitute. This taco seasoning blend is salt-free, so when you use it in a recipe be sure to taste and add salt, as needed.
Use this seasoning blend in soups, stews, chili, casseroles, meatloaf, meatballs, and any recipe calling for taco seasoning mix. This recipe makes the equivalent of one envelope (approximately 1.25 ounces) of taco seasoning mix.
Time Required: 5 minutes
What You Need:
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, or hot paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt*
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of minced dried onions in a small bowl or cup.
- Add 2 teaspoons of chili powder.
- Add 1 teaspoon of garlic powder.
- Add 1 teaspoon of cornstarch.
- Add 1 teaspoon of ground cumin.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, or hot paprika.
- Add kosher salt.
- Makes the equivalent of a 1 1/4-ounce package of taco seasoning mix.
*If desired, omit the salt in the taco seasoning mix. When you use this seasoning mix in a recipe, add salt to the recipe suit your taste.
- This seasoning blend is not just for tacos! You can use taco seasoning to spice up meatloaf, soup, burgers, tomato sauce, casseroles, and dips.