Hot Buttered Rum is a favorite winter drink because it is both sweet and warm, which is just the kind of comfort we gravitate toward on the coldest days of the year. There are a number of ways to make this popular drink and I've included two below.
The first recipe is very simple and can be used to quickly make up one or two Hot Buttered Rums at a moment's notice. The second recipe will make a large batch of the base mix, which you can store in the refrigerator for an even quicker drink, or use to serve a party.
With either recipe, you will find that the Hot Buttered Rum is a cozy, creamy drink that everyone will love.
For a fun and interesting twist, try the Cranberry Peanut Buttered Hot Rum.
- Place the butter, sugar and spices at the bottom of an Irish coffee glass or mug.
- Mix well or muddle.
- Pour in the rum and hot water.
Red hot poker mixing:
This is a fun option for mixing your Hot Buttered Rum. It is also great for camping and can be used for caramelizing dark beers.
- Choose a clean, thick rod and let it sit in the fire until it is red hot.
- Shake off any ashes and slowly put it into the finished drink, being careful not to touch the rod to the bottom of the glass or it will shatter.
To Make a Large Batch of Hot Buttered Rum Mix
Makes 25 servings
- 3 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp rum extract
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
To Make Hot Buttered Rum Mix:
- Mix the ingredients using a beater until everything is blended together.
- Store in a well-sealed jar in the refrigerator until needed.
To Make a Hot Buttered Rum drink:
- Pour 1 1/2 ounces of light or dark rum into an Irish coffee glass or mug.
- Add a heaping spoonful of the hot buttered rum mix.
- Fill with hot water (not boiling).
- Stir well.