The cost of adoption will vary by the type of adoption being considered and the fees attached. Adoption costs vary due to, for example, agency and lawyer fees, travel costs, and birth family needs. Adoption costs range from zero with state adoptions to over $30,000 with domestic private or independent adoptions.
Breakdown of Cost by Type of Adoption
- Domestic Public Agency Adoption
- Domestic Private Agency Adoption
- Domestic Independent Adoption
Estimates of Adoption Cost
Need Help Affording the Cost of Adoption?
- 7 Ways to Afford the Cost of Adoption
- Get Creative with Adoption Fundraising Efforts
Source: Child Welfare Information Gateway