Crocs hit the United States marketplace in 2003 and became a footwear classic for men, women, and children. Whether you stick to the classic foam clogs or have branched out into their fabric and leather shoes, you need to know how to clean Crocs and keep them looking their best.
How Often to Clean Crocs
How frequently Crocs need to be cleaned depends on how often they are worn and where they are worn. For shoes worn only occasionally, give them a good cleaning at least once per season and spot-clean any specific stains.
For Crocs worn daily, more frequent cleaning will keep them looking their best and smelling fresh. They should be cleaned weekly to prevent odors from developing or when there is visible soil on the shoes.
Equipment / Tools
- 1 to 2 microfiber cloths
- 1 washing machine
- 1 sink or dishpan
- 1 suede brush
- 1 soft-bristled nylon brush
- 2 small cloth bags
- 1 container gentle laundry detergent
- 1 bottle mild soap
- 1 container leather conditioner
- 1 container shoe polish
- 1 container waterproofing spray
- 1 box baking soda
How to Clean Foam Crocs
Remove Excess Soil
If the shoes are muddy or sandy, rinse them off in a dishpan to remove excessive soil.
Machine or Hand-Wash
- The shoes can be cleaned using the delicate cycle in a washing machine with a load of color-fast towels. Use a gentle laundry detergent.
- You can also handwash the shoes in a sink with water and mild soap. Rinse well.
- Never place CrocsTM in an automatic dryer. Allow them to air-dry away from direct sunlight or a forced-air heater.
- Add a circulating fan to the area near the shoes to speed drying.
How to Clean Fleece-Lined Crocs
Remove Excessive Soil
Use a damp microfiber cloth to wipe away excess soil on the outside of the CrocsTM.
Clean the Interior Lining
- Since the interior fuzzy, fleece-like lining is not removable, it must be cleaned in place.
- Mix a solution of warm water and a few drops of mild soap.
- Dip a microfiber cloth in the solution and wring until it is not dripping.
- Wipe the inside of the shoe to remove the soil. Move to a clean area of the cloth as the soil is transferred.
Rinse and Air-Dry
- When the lining is clean, dip a microfiber cloth in warm water and wring until just damp.
- Wipe the inside of the shoe to remove any soapy residue.
- Allow the CrocsTM to air-dry.
How to Clean Leather Crocs
Wipe Away Dust and Dirt
- For both Nappa and patent leather uppers, dampen a microfiber cloth with warm water and wipe away dust and dirt.
- Clean the synthetic soles and heels with a damp cloth and a drop of mild soap. Avoid harsh cleaners or solvents as these may destroy the glue used to bond the sole.
Clean and Shine the Leather
For Nappa leather uppers, after wiping away dust, apply a matching color shoe polish or cream following the product directions. Buff to a shiny finish.
For patent leather uppers, wipe with a damp microfiber cloth or use a commercial patent leather cleaner. Do not use alcohol or other solvents to clean the leather as they will dull the finish.
How to Clean Canvas, Suede, and Wool Crocs
Brush Away Loose Soil
Spot Clean Stains
- Mix a solution of warm water and a few drops of mild soap. Dip in a microfiber cloth and wring until it is just damp.
- Spot clean stains and heavily-soiled areas of the shoe uppers and soles.
- Use the same solution to clean the interior of the shoes.
- Dip a clean microfiber cloth in fresh water and wring until it is not dripping to rinse away any soapy residue from the outside and interior of the uppers.
Air-Dry and Waterproof
- Allow the shoes to air-dry completely.
- Use a waterproofing spray to protect the finish.
Tips to Keep Your Crocs Looking Their Best
- Do not use harsh cleaners or solvents on the shoes. They can dull the finish or loosen the glue that holds the soles in place.
- Use the gentle cycle when machine-washing to prevent excessive twisting of the foam.
- Never use high heat to dry CrocsTM. Extreme heat can warp the foam.
- Do not leave CrocsTM in a hot car or direct sunlight to prevent warping.
- Fill cloth bags with baking soda and place them inside fleece-lined CrocsTM to absorb odors.