How to Clean Pewter

Pewter plate and flatware on rough grey board

 Epitavi/ iStock/ Getty Images Plus

Overview
  • Working Time: 15 mins
  • Total Time: 15 mins
  • Skill Level: Beginner

While you may think of pewter as an old-fashioned metal, pewter is popular in dinnerware, flatware, decorative home accessories, and jewelry. Pewter is the fourth most common jewelry metal behind gold, platinum, and silver and is valued for its durability, affordability, versatility, and warm, patina finish.

Pewter is an alloy of 90 percent tin with the remaining 10 percent a combination of silver, copper, bismuth, and antimony. Traced back to the Bronze Age, pewter quickly became a functional metal used for tableware, buttons, buckles, and horse bridles. Since pewter will not hold a sharp edge, it was seldom used for swords or farm implements but was later melted down to form musket balls.

How Often to Clean Pewter

One of the most desirable aspects of pewter is that it does not need to be polished often since it does not tarnish like silver. The patina of pewter tends to slowly and evenly darken over time adding to its appeal. Regular washing is necessary, of course, to remove food particles and dust. Additional cleaning is dependent upon the type of pewter finish and your personal preferences.

  • Polished finish: The pewter has been cast with a shiny finish that resembles silver. Cleaning frequency depends upon how shiny you want it to remain. Gradually, the piece will darken overall.
  • Satin finish: The pewter is cast with a matte patina that highlights a bit of texture. These pieces just need regular washing and do not need to be polished.
  • Oxidized finish: The pewter has been treated with a darkening agent to create a deep grey finish. This finish should never be polished; washing or dusting is all that is needed.

What You'll Need

Equipment / Tools

  • Microfiber cloths
  • Small bowl
  • Sink or bucket

Materials

  • Dishwashing liquid
  • Commercial metal cleaner (Brasso, Hagerty)
  • Distilled white vinegar
  • All-purpose flour
  • Table salt

Instructions

How to Wash Pewter

All types of pewter finishes will eventually need to be washed to remove dust or food particles.

Warning

Automatic dishwasher detergent is too abrasive for pewter pieces so skip the dishwasher and handwash pieces instead. The high temperatures in a dishwasher can also be harmful.

  1. Create a Washing Solution

    Fill a sink or bucket with hot water and add a few drops of dishwashing liquid.

  2. Gently Wash the Pewter Pieces

    Submerge the pewter pieces and gently wash them with a microfiber dishcloth or sponge. If the piece cannot be submerged, wring most of the moisture out of a dishcloth and wipe down the surface.

  3. Rinse Well

    Rinse each pewter piece with hot water or wipe down with a clean dishcloth dipped in fresh hot water to remove any soapy residue.

  4. Dry Completely

    Use a microfiber cloth to dry each pewter piece to prevent water spots from any minerals in the rinse water.

How to Polish Pewter

If you would like to add a bit more shine or lighten the color of matte pewter, it can be polished. Silver polish should not be used because it can damage the surface of the pewter. Choose instead a commercial polish like Brasso or Hagerty that is recommended for pewter. Follow product directions and use a gentle touch while cleaning—no scrubbing!

You can also create an inexpensive polish with just a few ingredients from the pantry that will restore a bit of luster to pewter finishes.

  1. Mix the Polishing Paste

    In a small bowl, combine one cup of distilled white vinegar with one-half cup of all-purpose flour. Stir well to create a paste.

    If the pewter has a matte finish, add one teaspoon of salt to add more abrasive action to the paste. Do not add the salt if you are cleaning pewter with a polished finish.

  2. Apply the Polishing Paste

    Use a small damp cloth to apply the paste to the surface of the pewter. Cover the piece evenly, rubbing in a circular motion with light pressure.

  3. Set Aside

    Set the piece aside and allow the slightly acidic paste to work for 30 minutes. It is fine if the paste dries or remains slightly damp.

  4. Rinse Away

    Rinse away the paste with hot water. If the piece cannot be submerged in hot water, dip a microfiber cloth in hot water, wring until slightly damp, and wipe away the paste.

  5. Dry and Buff

    Once the piece is rinsed well, use a clean microfiber cloth to dry the pewter and then buff well to reveal the finish.

Tips to Keep Pewter Looking Its Best

  • Dust display pieces regularly to remove surface soil.
  • Wrap jewelry pieces in tissue paper to prevent scratches from other metals in a jewelry box.
  • Keep pewter away from high heat sources and do not store in overheated attics or storage facilities.
  • To prevent scratches on polished pewter, do not stack plates or hollow pieces without protective padding.