01 of 06
What Spaghetti Squash Is and What You Need to Prepare It
Spaghetti squash is a good alternative to pasta, potatoes, or rice. The cooked squash flesh shreds into threads like thin spaghetti or vermicelli, hence its name.
On average, a spaghetti squash measures about 12 inches in length and about 6 inches in diameter. The squash should be an even light yellow color and firm with no bruises. Store whole at room temperature up to 3 weeks. Spaghetti squash is available year-round with peak season in fall.
Spaghetti squash has a very mild flavor, thus it is... usually served with a sauce of some sort. It also may be enjoyed simply with salt and a bit of butter. Cooking the squash is very simple.
You will need:
Continue to 2 of 6 below.
- 1 spaghetti squash
- Large sharp knife
- Baking pan
- Kitchen fork
02 of 06
Bake the Spaghetti Squash
Continue to 3 of 6 below.
- Heat the oven to 375 F.
- Prick the spaghetti squash all over with a metal skewer or fork so it will not burst while baking.
- Place whole squash in a shallow baking pan.
- Bake for 1 hour.
03 of 06
Cut the Baked Spaghetti Squash
Continue to 4 of 6 below.
- Let baked spaghetti squash cool until it can be handled.
- Cut it in half lengthwise with a serrated knife.
04 of 06
Remove the Seeds
Continue to 5 of 6 below.
- Scoop the seeds and fibrous strings from the center of each half of cooked spaghetti squash.
- Discard the seeds and strings or save for composting.
05 of 06
Turn Squash into Noodles
Continue to 6 of 6 below.
- Gently scrape the tines of a kitchen fork around the edge of the spaghetti squash to shred the pulp into strands.
- Continue until you have as many "noodles" as you can. Use in a recipe.
06 of 06
How to Serve Spaghetti Squash
- Cooked spaghetti squash is usually served with a sauce or gravy because the flesh is very bland in flavor.
- It can be served alone as a side dish with the addition of salt, pepper and butter or as part of a main course.
- Try these recipes using spaghetti squash: Turkey Tetrazzini with Spaghetti Squash and Pesto Spaghetti Squash with Mozzarella.