How to Get Married in Kansas

Kansas Marriage License Information

Kansas Sky
john finney photography/Getty Images

Getting married in Kansas doesn't have to put a dent in your wedding plans if you know what documents to bring with you before you apply for a Kansas marriage license. We recommend getting the paperwork aspect of your wedding out of the way about a month before your wedding date.

As you begin your lifetime journey together, know we wish you much happiness!


Requirements may vary as each county in Kansas could have their own requirements.

Kansas Residency Requirement:

You do not have to be a resident of Kansas.

Kansas ID Requirement:

In some counties, both of you don't have to be present when applying for the license. If only one of you is present, you will need to have all the documentation and know the information that would be required from your future spouse.  

You need to apply at the District Court Clerk's Office. Driver's license and your social security card, or another type of photo identification are required.

Previous Marriages:

If either of you were previously married, you will need to know the date of the final divorce decree or death of spouse. You may need to wait 30 days past the date of your final decree before being allowed to get remarried.

Kansas Premarital Education:

No. Kansas does not require premarital education.

Covenant Marriage:

According to the Kansas Supreme Court Law Library, as of April 2012, no. There was a bill authorizing covenant marriage in Kansas but it was referred to Committee on Judiciary on 2/10/2011.

Kansas Fees:

Fees for getting a marriage license in Kansas vary from county to county. Some counties charge $59 while others charge $85.50. Cash and exact change are required in some counties.

Waiting Period in Kansas:

Kansas has a three-day waiting period.

Other Tests in Kansas:

No other tests are necessary in Kansas.

Proxy Marriage in Kansas:

No. Although I've not been able to find supporting documentation, I have heard from people who have stated that they were part of a marriage by proxy wedding. So check with the county where you want to get married.

Cousin Marriage in Kansas:

No. Kansas does not allow cousin marriages.

Common Law Marriage in Kansas:

Yes. Kansas does allow common law marriages if a couple is not under 18 years of age. "A common-law marriage will be recognized in Kansas if the couple considers themselves to be married and publicly holds themselves out to be married and if they are legally eligible to marry. No minimum period of cohabitation is required."

Same Sex Marriages in Kansas:


Under 18:

The minimum age to get married is 15 in Kansas. This legislation can be waived only by a district court judge who thinks that getting married at such a young age would be in that individual's best interest.

Teens who are 16 or 17 years old need to obtain one of the following in order to get married in Kansas:

  • Obtain parental or legal guardian permission and judicial consent.
  • Receive permission from both parents or legal guardian.
  • If the minor's parents are dead, or if there is no legal guardian, permission must be received from a judge.

    Kansas Officiants:

    Judges of a court record or any ordained ministers may perform wedding ceremonies in Kansas.

    According to Kansas law, "the two parties themselves, by mutual declarations, that they take each other as husband and wife, in accordance with the customs, rules, and regulations of any religious society, denomination or sect to which either of the parties belong, may be married without an authorized officiating person."


    A Kansas marriage license is valid for 6 months.

    Copy of Certificate of Marriage:

    Office of Vital Statistics
    Curtis State Office Building
    1000 SW Jackson, Suite 120
    Topeka, KS 66612-2221



    State and county marriage license requirements often change. The above information is for guidance only and should not be regarded as legal advice.​
    It is important that you verify all information with your local marriage license office or county clerk before making any wedding or travel plans.