How to Get Married in Sweden

how to get married in sweden illustration

Illustration: The Spruce / Madelyn Goodnight

If you want to get married in Sweden, you need to get understand the Swedish regulations regarding marriage.

Here's what you need to know and what documents to bring with you before you apply for a Swedish marriage license. We recommend getting this legal aspect of your wedding out of the way at least 9 weeks before your wedding date.

Your first stop needs to be at a Local Tax Office (Lokala skattemyndigheten) to verify what documents you need to provide and to start the investigation into whether or not there are impediments (hindersprövning) to your getting married.

ID, Residency and Document Requirements

You do not have to be a resident of Sweden to get married there. Sweden requires that you provide certified birth certificates, passports, and proof that you are both single or free to marry via a single status affidavit.

Since most of the Consular Services are not providing this form any longer, if you are an American, you should consult an attorney or the services of a notary (notarius publicus) in Sweden.

In Sweden, the proof of single status is apparently different from the Certificate of No Impediment, and both documents are required.

You may also have to provide a copy of your country or state's marriage license laws. Ask your county clerk's office to give you a certified extract of the marriage laws in your state. The regulations must be stamped, dated, signed and certified by an authorized official. The Swedish tax authorities may ask for a translation of the regulations.

According to Swedish law, all non-residents/non-citizens of Sweden who wish to get married in Sweden should present a document from their home country stating their marital status. Since there is no national registry in the U.S., no equivalent national document can be obtained from the U.S. However, certain states/counties may issue a document regarding a person’s marital status or a so-called “Record of No Record." Check with your local County Clerk’s office, or Vital Statistics office, to find out if such a document is available.

If not, ask the office, if possible, to put in writing that no such document exists in the particular state.

The Swedish tax authorities are aware of the difficulties in obtaining a document relating to marital status from the U.S. If no such document is available from your home state, and the county clerk’s office or Vital Statistics office, would not give you a written statement regarding the unavailability, the Swedish tax authorities (Skatteverket) may waive this requirement. Make sure to check with the tax authorities."

U.S. citizens seeking detailed advice on marriage in Sweden should contact the Swedish Tax Authorities (Skatteverket), which may be reached at phone number 0771-567 567 (from within Sweden), or at phone number +46 8 564 851 60 (from overseas).

Waiting Period

None. However, the Certificate of No Impediment (hindersprövning) may need to be posted for 21 days prior to your marriage. You also need to confirm your wedding date and location with a marriage officiant about a month prior to your marriage.

Other Tests and Fees

There are not likely other tests or fees, but that could depend on your country of residence as to whether or not Sweden will uphold their requirements.

Fees: The fees for getting married in Sweden vary from locale to locale.

Previous Marriages

If your spouse died, you need to provide a certified, notarized copy of the death certificate. If you are divorced, you need to provide a certified, notarized copy of your final decree of divorce. Some sources state that you may also need to show the marriage certificate of any previous marriage.

It is possible that your divorce may have to be confirmed by a Swedish Court of Appeal (Hovrätten).

Same-Sex Marriage

As of May 1, 2009, gay and lesbian couples can register their partnerships and legally marry in Sweden. 

Common-Law Marriage:

n unmarried couple can live together in a relationship that is very similar to marriage. The Cohabitation Act, "Sambolagen," deals with children and common property if the relationship ends.

Age Requirement:

You have to be 18 years of age to get married in Sweden.

Wedding Ceremony

In Sweden, you can be married either in a civil or a religious ceremony.

You can have your civil ceremony at a local district court or city hall. We recommend making reservations for your civil wedding ceremony at least two weeks in advance of your wedding date.

If you are having a religious ceremony, you should contact the pastor of the church where you want to get married to make sure that you have fulfilled the church's requirements for getting married there. The Established Church of Sweden requires that one of you must be a member of the church.


A marriage license in Sweden is valid for 4 months.

Marriage Certificate

You can obtain your marriage certificate (official registration) by contacting the Swedish Tax Authorities (Skatteverket) at +46 200 270 73498, or if you are still in Sweden, at 0771-778 778.

Please Note

Marriage license requirements often change. The above information is for guidance only and should not be regarded as legal advice.It is important that you verify all information with the local marriage license office before making any wedding or travel plans.