How to Get Married in Wyoming

Marriage License Requirements in Wyoming

Star Filled Sky over the Grand Tetons
Matt Anderson Photography/Getty Images

Getting married in Wyoming is pretty easy. You simply need to apply for a marriage license at the county clerk's office and show some identification, then you can have your wedding anywhere in the state.

It is important, however, that you know which documents to bring with you and that you do it well in advance of your wedding date. The good news is that Wyoming doesn't have a waiting period and your license is valid for an entire year.

Residency and ID Requirements

You do not have to be a Wyoming resident in order to get married in the state. Also, you do not have to apply for a license in the county where you live or where the ceremony will take place.

Both of you will need to show proof of your identity. A driver's license or other photo ID is acceptable. You will need to provide your address, birthday, social security number, and place you were born as well. Additionally, the application will ask you for your parents' full names—including your mothers' maiden names—and the states where each of them were born.

Some counties provide pre-application questionnaires or a copy of the application on their county clerk's website. These can be helpful because you can fill out the information before going to the office.

Previous Marriages

If you were previously married, you will need to provide the date and location of your divorce or spouse's death. Most counties do not require documentation, but some will ask that you bring a divorce decree or death certificate.

Covenant Marriage

Wyoming does not have a covenant marriage option.

Waiting Period

There is no waiting period in Wyoming. You can get married as soon as you have the license.


In most Wyoming counties, the marriage license fee is $30. Many also charge a small fee for a certified copy of the marriage certificate.

Other Tests

No blood or other tests are required.

Proxy Marriage

Proxy marriages are not allowed in Wyoming. Both of you must be present to get the license and at the ceremony.

Cousin Marriage

Cousins are not allowed to marry one another in Wyoming.

Common-Law Marriage

Wyoming does not recognize common-law marriages, including those formalized in other states.

Same-Sex Marriage

Same-sex couples can be married in Wyoming. This began in October 2014 when a U.S. District Court Judge found the 1977 ban of same-sex marriage to be unconstitutional. Furthermore, in June 2015, the U.S. Supreme Court came to the same decision, which effectively legalized it throughout the country.

Under 18

If either person is 16 or 17 years of age, you will need the written, notarized consent of at least one parent or legal guardian. Applicants under 15 years of age will need permission from a court judge.


Authorized persons to perform weddings in Wyoming include judges, supreme court justices, assistant judges, justices of the peace, and ordained or licensed members of the clergy.


The Wyoming marriage license is valid for one year. This means that you have a full year to get married and have your marriage license officially recorded. If you wait past that time frame, you can't get married without applying for and paying for another marriage license.

Copy of Certificate of Marriage

A certified copy of your marriage certificate is generally not included automatically when you pay for your marriage license in Wyoming. However, some counties will allow you to request and pay for one at that time. Otherwise, you will have to request one after the wedding from the county clerk's office. It typically costs about $5.

Alternatively, you can order a copy through Wyoming's Vital Statistics Services. The form is available online for you to download and mail in with payment. These can cost $20 and you will need to verify your identity.

Please Note

The information above is only intended as guidance to help you begin applying for a marriage license. It's important that you verify all requirements and information with your county clerk's office because the laws change often. Also, this should not be regarded as legal advice and it's best to speak with an attorney about any questions you have.