It seems so easy to leave a bed a jumbled mess when you wake up. After all, you're only going to mess it up again in a matter of hours. Making a bed has become one of those chores that very few people bother with, but a made bed has a dramatic impact on the way a room looks and feels. Find out a few simple steps on how to make your bed, and make your room appear less cluttered and chaotic.
What You Need
How to Make a Bed
- Gather Your Linens and Supplies: Choose bed linens that are comfortable and beautiful for you. If you like the way a bed skirt makes your room look, by all means, grab your favorite. If you're more minimalistic in your bed linen approach, that's fine too. A bed that is made, however simply, is still a major improvement over a mass of pillows and blankets.
- Remove the Used Linens: Take off the used linens and put them in the laundry. Shake out any mattress pads, pillow protectors, and comforters that don't need to be laundered. If you use a bed skirt and it needs to be laundered, remove and replace it. If the mattress looks dirty, make sure to clean a mattress.
- Put the Bottom Sheet on: If your bottom sheet is fitted, simply slip the corner pockets onto the ends of the bed and adjust the fitted sheet around the perimeter underneath the mattress pad and mattress. If your bottom sheet is flat, arrange the sheet so that one foot of sheet hangs over the edge of the top of your bed. Beginning with the sides of the bed, create hospital corners and fold under the mattress and mattress pad. Continue on each side, creasing and folding as you go.
- Add the Top Sheet: Place the top sheet evenly on the bed, and fold under with hospital corners only at the end of the bed. Leave the sides untucked, making it easier to get into the bed, but if it is a guest bed that is only rarely used, or you're a stickler about folding under, you can tuck under the sides as well. Just remember your comforter, quilt, or duvet will likely cover up the little bit of sheet hanging down.
- Add a Blanket, Comforter, or Duvet: Smooth your choice of blanket evenly over the top of the bed, smoothing the edges as you go
- Add Pillows: To place pillows under the blanket, fold the top sheet down over the blanket. Place pillows flat on the top sheet at the head of the bed. Fold blanket over the pillows towards the head of the bed, and smooth. Pillows can also be laid upright against the head of the bed. Do what makes the bed have that finished look that you love.
Tips for Making a Bed
- The more days in a row you make your bed, the faster you'll be at it.
- Rotate your pillowcases twice a week, and your bottom sheet once a week. These items get the most wear and tear.
- Use mattress pads and pillow protectors to lengthen the time needed for laundering and protect your linens and mattress.