This year, give your Valentine a special, homemade Valentine's Day card. You can get spectacular results using easy techniques. If you are running short on time, you can make one of these printable Valentine's Day cards
The easiest way to make a Valentine is to fold a sheet of paper in half and decorate it. Sound boring? Well, it doesn't have to be. There are several fun options for decorating Valentine's Day cards:
- One of the simplest ways is to cut a variety of heart shapes out of paper and glue them to the front of the card. Make different designs, animals, people, etc.
- Take the heart idea one step further. Instead of cutting heart shapes out of paper, cut them out of fabric, wallpaper samples, tissue paper, wrapping paper, or anything else you can think of. Outline your hearts/designs using dimensional paint.
- Recycle last year's cards. Cut around the shape on the card. Glue it to a piece of construction paper, and trim around the picture leaving about a 1/4-inch border. Outline your hearts/designs using 3D fabric paint.
- Use collage techniques to craft a Valentine. Cut pictures out of magazines and glue them to your card. Try to find a collection of pictures that will tell a story. Cut words out of magazines to use - great for a secret admirer.
- Use stamping/printing techniques. You can get a wide variety of rubber stamps on the market today, along with custom ink pads. You can also make your own stamps by cutting a heart design out of a potato, apple, sponge, cookie cutter, or even a piece of styrofoam.
- Cut small squares and/or triangles out of different colored paper, wallpaper samples, fabric, etc. Glue them onto the front of your card to form a mosaic/quilt-like picture.
- Use stencils, either store-bought or home-made, to make nice pictures on the front of the card.
- Use clip art to make Valentine's Day cards. There are many fun sites that offer free clip art for personal use. Outline your hearts/designs using 3D fabric paint.
- Use a coloring book page on the front of your card. You can cut one out of a coloring book you have, or choose from several online coloring pages to print. Outline your hearts/designs using dimensional paint.
- Paint a design on your card. Use fingerpaint to make a personalized design. You can also use tempera or acrylic paint. While the paint is still wet, you might want to sprinkle a little bit of glitter on your card to add a special finishing touch.
I hope you enjoy using your imagination and these suggestions to create fancy St. Valentine's Day cards for everyone you know.