01 of 08
How to Make a Watermelon Basket Party Decoration Recipe - Step 1
Watermelons come in many varieties so you can choose from red or yellow flesh and seeded or seedless varieties. If you will be using the fruit scooped out from the watermelon basket, consider buying a seedless variety. Learn how to cut decorative hearts into a handle for the basket for an elegant but easy edible party decoration or centerpiece. Simply follow these easy step-by-step instructions and fill with your favorite fruit salad recipe.
Note: If you have pumpkin carving tools left over from... Halloween, by all means, use them. The watermelon basket handle is for decorative purposes only. Do not use it to lift the basket. It will not support the weight and will break.
You will need:
• Ripe watermelon, seedless or not. Select a watermelon with a flattish bottom so it will not easily roll.
• Large sharp knife.
• Razor blade knife or craft knife (such as an Exacto® knife).
• Melon-ball tool (optional).
• Washable non-toxic children's marker (such as Crayola® brand) in a contrasting color.
• White paper to draw a heart (or another shape) for a template.
• Small sharp paring knife.Continue to 2 of 8 below.
02 of 08
How to Make a Watermelon Basket - Step 2
• Place the watermelon with the yellow spot, if any, on the bottom and out of view. Be sure it is in a stable position so it will not roll.
• Measure the diameter of the watermelon.
• Find the center and add 1/2 inch.
• Using a non-toxic marker, mark a line horizontally around the watermelon so you can slice off the top evenly.
• Before cutting, you will need to trace the handle. See next step.Continue to 3 of 8 below.
03 of 08
How to Make a Watermelon Basket - Step 3
• Cut a stencil of a heart as pictured. The connecting square at the top of the heart is essential for the handle.
• Position the stencil so the bottom of the heart is about 1/2 inch below the circumference line you have traced on the watermelon. The V at the bottom of the heart will become your starting point for the sword-tooth cut-outs later.
• Tape on the stencil and use the non-toxic marker to trace the outline.Continue to 4 of 8 below.
04 of 08
How to Make a Watermelon Basket - Step 4
• Remove and re-position the stencil so that the point of the heart fits into and matches either side of the top square of the bottom heart previously traced on the watermelon.
• Repeat procedure on the opposite side working up to have the hearts meet in the top center.Continue to 5 of 8 below.
05 of 08
How to Carve a Watermelon Basket - Step 5
• Use a large sharp knife to slice the watermelon in half along the horizontal line up to the traced heart outline.
• Carve around the hearts at a slight inward angle on both sides.
• Carefully remove both upper halves of the watermelon.
• Cut the flesh from the removed halves for use in the fruit salad or other watermelon recipes.Continue to 6 of 8 below.
06 of 08
How to Make a Watermelon Basket - Step 6
• Use the point of the craft knife to carve an outline of the bottom of the heart down one layer of the skin to the white part. Do not cut completely through or the handle will detach.
• Carve the centers of the hearts.
• Slice inward around the rim of the watermelon to remove the flesh.
• Trim the flesh from the underside of the heart handle, leaving the handle at least 1 inch thick. If you trim it too closely, it will wilt and sag.
• Wipe off the marker outlines with a clean cloth.
Continue to 7 of 8 below.
07 of 08
How to Make a Watermelon Basket - Step 7
• Begin at the base of the heart and carve a sawtooth border around the rim of the watermelon using a sawing motion.
• Think ahead to get the points even. Begin on either side of the bottom of the heart point and meet on the far left and right sides.
• A sharp serrated knife is good for this task. If you do not have one, use a small, sharp, thin-bladed knife.Continue to 8 of 8 below.
08 of 08
How to Carve a Watermelon Basket - Step 8
• Fill watermelon basket with fresh fruit salad or other salad.
• Do not use the handle to lift the watermelon basket. It will not support the weight and will break.
• Buy Garnishing Tools Online