When it comes to getting organized and counting down the holidays, you don't have to forgo fashion and style. Below, we provide you with instructions that teach you how to make an advent calendar or two with some fun and flair. You may choose from a large selection of patterns that are personal and unique to your taste or go with traditional Christmas design. With these instructions, you will be able to make fabric advent calendars, paper advent calendars and additional calendars using these free craft projects.
The Meaning of the Advent Calendar
Waiting for Christmas Day to arrive every year can be tough when you have the anticipation of Santa's visit, family gatherings and special gifts that can make each day seem like an eternity. Especially for kids, waiting for Santa and his sleigh can be a real Christmas challenge.
Something that Christians and other Christmas fans alike have used, to help make the wait for Christmas a bit easier to handle, is a special advent calendar. The word advent originated from a Latin word meaning 'arrival'. With an advent calendar, you countdown each day until Christmas day in a special way. Typically, you begin the countdown on December 1st, but you can be flexible and design your advent calendar to start on any day of your preference. With an advent calendar, waiting for Christmas can be fun.
Craft Ideas for the Christmas Countdown
Here are some advent calendars and craft ideas you can make to help you with the countdown to that special day:
- Make a special advent craft along with a poem that goes along with it.
- Utilize an advent collage draft made with printable templates and magazine pictures. This advent craft is simple enough for the youngest crafter to put together.
- Build a fun advent wreath made with paper handprints.
- Decorate a plain jar and fill it with good deads. Pull out one good deed or more every day before Christmas, and perform that good deed with friends, family and other people you know.
- Print out a Christmas tree template plus Christmas tree ornaments and use them to count down the days until Christmas.
- Use a calendar like the Days until Christmas Activity Calendar. This will not only help you count down the days until Christmas but also gives you fun activity options for every day leading up to the big holiday.
Have fun with a printable pattern for a Christmas tree by following the instructions for a felt advent Christmas tree.
- Create an advent calendar that looks like Santa Claus and his beard, made of advent rings.
- Recycle toilet tissue rolls into a fun Christmas tree decoration that doubles as an advent calendar.
Putting together an advent calendar full of crafts and activities can boost the Christmas spirit and entertain kids while they wait for Christmas day. If you make any of these crafts, send in a photo. You can also get your crafts published.