Crystallized or candied ginger is very easy to make at home in about 45 minutes with these instructions. Use in desserts, confections and savory foods.
What You Need
- 1 pound (500 g) fresh gingerroot
- Heavy saucepan
- 3 tablespoons water
- Sealable glass jar for storage
How to Make It
- Peel and thinly slice gingerroot.
- Place sliced ginger in a heavy saucepan.
- Cover with water.
- Cook gently until tender, about 30 minutes.
- Drain off the water.
- Weigh the cooked ginger and measure an equal amount of sugar.
- Add sugar, cooked ginger and 3 tablespoons water to saucepan.
- Bring to a boil, stirring often, and cook until ginger is transparent and liquid has almost evaporated.
- Reduce heat and cook, stirring constantly, until almost dry.
- Toss cooled ginger in more sugar to coat.
- Store crystallized (candied) ginger in an airtight jar for up to 3 months.
Use Candied Ginger in These Recipes
- Baked Pineapple Chicken with Candied Ginger Recipe: This simple baked chicken is flavored with pineapple, candied ginger, and green onions. For juicier chicken, use thighs.
- Pear Tart with Crystallized Ginger Recipe: Purchased puff pastry makes this 5-ingredient tart easy to make and the crystallized ginger adds sparkle.
- Barbecued Chicken Leg Quarters Recipe: Pineapple and purchased barbecue sauce are combined to make the easy, flavorful sauce for these tasty chicken legs that can be served with rice and your favorite vegetable side dish or a salad.