Can you make your own fresh bacon at home? Sort of. This method is for a (relatively) quick, uncured, unsmoked, fresh bacon. Whether it's for a nice BLT, or to serve next to eggs for breakfast, making your own fresh bacon is a fun and delicious project.
This recipe makes 16 portions of fresh bacon.
- 4 pound piece pork belly, tough rind/skin trimmed off
- 2 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 200°F.
2. Combine the spices and coat the pork belly thoroughly all over. Wrap snugly in two layers of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Place in a roasting pan and cook for 3 1/2 hours. Turn off oven and leave the pork inside to cool for 1 1/2 hours. Remove and refrigerate overnight.
3. Unwrap the pork belly and scrape off any gelatinous juices. Cut into thick slices and brown in a pan just as if you were cooking bacon.
A little extra fat from the foil can be added to the pan to help get things going.
4. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with more salt if needed.