01 of 09
Step 1: Place Rice on Dried Seaweed (Nori)
Continue to 2 of 9 below.
- First, make sure your workspace is prepped to make onigirazu by laying a large piece of plastic wrap over a clean dry cutting board or other hard flat surface.
- Lay a large sheet (approximately 7 inches by 8 inches) of dried seaweed (nori) squarely on the plastic wrap.
- Spread about 1/2 cup steamed rice onto the center of the dried seaweed in a diamond shape, with the tip of the diamond at the top of the sheet of seaweed. (Tip: Make sure your rice paddle is moistened with water to help prevent rice... from sticking.)
- Sprinkle dried roasted sesame seeds over the steamed rice for additional flavor (optional).
02 of 09
Step 2: Add Fillings and Cover with Additional Rice
Continue to 3 of 9 below.
- Lay onigirazu fillings over the layer of rice. Use any filling for your onigirazu that you would choose for making a sandwich. For example, ham and cheese, tuna or chicken salad, egg salad etc.
- Next, lay additional cooked rice (about 1/2 cup) on top of the fillings. Make sure to try and maintain the diamond shape of the bottom layer of rice.
03 of 09
Step 3: Pull One Corner of the Dried Seaweed Sheet Closed
Continue to 4 of 9 below.
- Using the plastic wrap, pull one edge of the dried seaweed sheet towards the center of the "diamond" rice.
- Press down to seal the seaweed to the rice, then peel back the plastic wrap.
04 of 09
Step 4: Pull the Opposite Corner of the Dried Seaweed Sheet Closed
Continue to 5 of 9 below.
- Again, using the plastic wrap, pull the opposite corner (from the corner just sealed) of the seaweed sheet and press securely onto the rice.
- Peel back the plastic wrap.
05 of 09
06 of 09
07 of 09
08 of 09
Step 8: Slice the Onigirazu in Half (Optional)
With the plastic wrap still intact, slice the onigirazu in half with a sharp knife. For best results use a ceramic knife. Tip: Moisten the knife with water to prevent the rice from sticking to the knife.Continue to 9 of 9 below.
09 of 09
Step 9: Enjoy it Now or Save it for Later