Why is it when you can least afford to replace an item of clothing, that's when a seam rips or the zipper is broken? You go shopping and find a similar item on a clearance rack but it needs to be hemmed. None of these problems are a problem if you know how to fix a seam or hem your own clothing! Honest! Anyone can learn how to save their clothes!
If you are up against the clock, you will want to have fusible repair options on hand.
Fusible options are available in the fabric notions section. Fusibles work best on fabric that has already been laundered, but will usually hold long enough to get you through an evening. If you have children, you have mending in your future and may want to learn about durable sewing tools and sewing machines.
- Fusible Web - - What is it and how to use it
- No Sew Sewing - Fusible Options to Join Fabric
- Photo Gallery of Sewing Tools
- Sewing Machines 101
A ripped seam is no reason to throw away the clothing! Even without a sewing machine, you can repair the seam.
- Everything You Need to Sew a Perfect Seams
- How to Sew a Seam
- Mend a Seam - How to Mend a Seam Video
- Hand Sewn Stitches
- Hand Sewing Part of a Seam -- How to Mend a Pressed Open Seam
- Mend Clothing -- A Guide to Mending Your Clothing, Zippers and Fabric
Safety pins are not the solution to a broken zipper! A seam ripper and learning how to replace a broken zipper will solve the problem and preserve the garment.
- How to Replace a Broken Zipper
- How to Remove Stitching -- Rip Out Sewing
- Changing the Length of a Zipper
A loose button is not a reliable way to leave the house. Once that button falls off you may be exposing more than you intended and if you lose the button, you'll need to replace all the buttons in order to save the garment.
Learn how to sew on a button and you won't have to worry about a button again!
Worn out shirts can have a second life if only parts of the shirt are showing wear. Replacing cuffs and patching elbows is not an overwhelming job if you know what to do.
If you've decided to invest in a sewing machine and feel overwhelmed with learning how to operate the machine, there is help!