Have you taken a good look at your coat closet lately? Are there even any coats in there? Whether it's a closet near your front door for guest coats or the catchall closet near the family entrance, it should be functional and well-organized to accommodate the needs of your family and guests.
These steps to clean and organize a coat closet work well even if your "closet" is open shelving or hanging storage in a mudroom. Keeping the area organized makes morning and evening routines easier for every member of the family.
How Often to Clean and Organize a Coat Closet
The best way to schedule the organization of a coat closet is to tackle it when the seasons change. Items stored in the closet during summer activities won't always be suitable for cold, winter days. Taking just an hour or so at least twice per year will save you many more hours of frustration later on.
Equipment / Tools
- Sturdy clothes hangers
- Wire or woven baskets or plastic containers
- Vacuum or mop
- Microfiber cloths
- Vertical hanging organizer
- Label maker
- Towel or curtain rods
- Wire shelving
- Cardboard boxes or trash bags
Empty the Closet
Take everything—yes, everything—out of the closet. The only way you can assess what is in there is to spread it all out.
Vacuum and Dust
Now that the closet is empty, give it a good cleaning by vacuuming or mopping the floor and dusting any shelves and the hanging rod. A thorough cleaning will help remove insect eggs, larvae, and droppings.
Sort the Closet Contents
With the contents of the closet spread out on the floor, begin sorting it all into four piles:
- Return to another spot
- Replace in the closet
Return Items to Their Proper Spot
This pile is for all the things that have gotten stuck in the closet that shouldn't be there. Unless you have an exceptionally large coat storage area, this is not the place for sports equipment, toys, or snow shovels.
Sort through coats, boots, scarves, gloves, and hats that no longer fit or are worn. Wash or dry clean them and donate to a local charity. Make sure that you take them to the charity within one week so they won't get stuffed back in the closet.
Discard broken umbrellas and badly worn boots or shoes. Recycle paper goods and anything that your local waste management company can accommodate.
Replace Remaining Items in the Closet
Appropriate items for a coat closet are, of course, coats and jackets, outerwear accessories, umbrellas, boots, and dog-walking supplies.
If possible, store only the appropriate seasonal items. Sort coats by length to provide the most wall space for shelves or storage bins.
Follow the 80/20 rule. The storage area should be no more than 80 percent full. The remaining 20 percent is for guest coats and breathing room so that coats will not be overly-wrinkled. Keep a donation box handy and as new items go in, an older item can be placed in the box for donation.
Tips to Keep Your Coat Closet Organized Longer
Use the Right Hangers
Invest in some sturdy hangers for heavy coats. This will keep them from falling to the floor. Wooden cedar hangers are an excellent choice for woolen items.
Include a few skirt hangers. The clips are great for holding gloves or scarves.
Make Use of the Door Space
The interior of the closet door is the perfect place for hanging lightweight items.
- Add a vertical shoe storage bag to hold small items. You can even label each pocket to help kids find their gloves and hat.
- Install hooks for hats, purses, backpacks, and dog leashes.
- Add narrow wire baskets or hanging file holders for mail or small items.
- Install towel or curtain rods with shower curtain clip rings for hats and scarves.
Creative Ideas for the Closet Floor
Once you know the length of your coats, assess the floor space. You may be able to have shelving installed across the entire width of the closet or add a shorter custom set of shelves.
Use the shelves for shoe and boot storage, This can be left as open shelving or add baskets to hide the clutter.
Organize the Upper Shelf
Almost all coat closets have at least one upper shelf. This is the perfect spot for baskets or plastic tubs—don't forget to add labels—for additional storage.
Look up in the closet. There may be room to add another shelf above the one already in place. Be sure there is room to access it as a great way to add some additional storage for seasonal items.
Don't Forget Wall Space
If you don't have many coats, you may find that the closet works better with just a small hanging area and the rest of the wall space dedicated to shelves. Wire shelving is simple to install and very practical.
You may even find that there is space between the door and the coats for a few hooks to hold umbrellas or dog leashes.