Painting a room with your favorite paint is one of the most common and popular of all home repair projects. Either you have already done it or you will.
However, there is a bit of a process that should be followed to make the painting task come out looking its best. Following the tips provided below will also save you time in having to repaint areas of drip marks, roller splatter and excessive cutting in with that paint brush.
First, prepare the room to be painted as follows:
- Remove electrical cover plates on switches and outlets
- Remove window hardware (if they are to be painted) such as sash locks and handles
- Protect wall lighting fixtures or better yet, remove them
- Remove door knob and strike plate at the latch.
- Tape off the lock at the edge of the door;
- Protect furniture from paint and roller splatter with a plastic drop cloth;
- Protect the floor with a cloth or plastic drop cloth. You can also use a narrow roll of brown thick paper called masking paper or a plastic masking film.
Compare Prices Masking Paper
Second, the room's surfaces should be painted in this order:
- If you are going to prime paint first, prime the ceiling first, then the walls and trim;
- Finish paint the ceiling;
- Finish paint the walls;
- Finish paint the baseboard trim;
- Finish paint the door and door trim
- Finish paint the windows.
By following these simple tips your painting efforts will go a lot smoother!