The sun is shining and the weather is warm, so your outdoor living space should be ready for some fun entertaining. If you’ve been putting it off, all you need is a weekend to get this done. Sure, transforming your patio over a weekend might seem overwhelming, but if you’re equipped with the proper tools and follow these tips, you’ll be able to take your patio from drab to fab in a couple days.
Start with cleaning
Let’s begin by sprucing up your deck and any outdoor furniture. That might sound like a lot, but it’s surprisingly easy when you’re equipped with the correct tools. Grab a container of OxiClean™ Versatile Stain Remover, a bucket, a broom, your favorite scrub brush and a hose. Now let’s get to work.
Clean your deck
These four simple steps can have your deck looking refreshed for summer. But before you spruce it up, make sure your deck is compatible with OxiClean™ Versatile Stain Remover. You’re all set to get started if it’s concrete, pavers travertine, brick, stamped concrete or composite decking.
- Rinse your deck with a hose to loosen any stuck-on debris.
- Fill the scoop with OxiClean™ Versatile Stain Remover to line 4. Mix with one gallon of the warm water until completely dissolved.
- Apply using a brush and let stand for five to thirty minutes. Do not let the solution dry on the surface.
- Scrub as needed and rinse well with cool water.
Clean your outdoor furniture
Next, it’s time to clean your outdoor furniture. Even if your furniture has been exposed to winter and harsh weather, OxiClean™ Versatile Stain Remover is powerful enough to remove the junk and gunk that has accumulated since last summer. You’ll want to remove the cushions and pillows before following these steps.
- Mix one gallon of warm water and one scoop (filled to line four) of OxiClean™ Versatile Stain Remover until completely dissolved.
- Apply the OxiClean™ mixture to your furniture by using a cloth, sponge or brush. You can also pour the solution directly onto the furniture surface.
- Let stand for five to thirty minutes, without letting the solution dry on the surface. Scrub as needed. For larger surfaces, work in small areas so the OxiClean™ Versatile Stain Remover solution does not dry on the surface.
- Rinse well with cool water.
Do some planting
Now that your deck and your furniture are nice and clean, it’s time to start decorating your patio. Start with a little bit of gardening. Once you grab your favorite potting soil, hand shovel, flowers and pots, you’ll be ready to get to work.
Planting a combination of greenery and flowers will really make your patio look amazing. It’s important to change things up by having hanging baskets, visually appealing planters and smaller potted plants around your patio.
Add lighting and decor
Adding a few strings of hanging lights, candles, pillows and blankets can go a long way in making your patio really shine.
When hanging outdoor string lights, you can use a combination of your house eaves, trees in your yard and hanging poles. You’ll hang them by installing hooks and stringing them around your patio to bring some light to your patio in the evening.
Keep those pesky bugs away by adding citronella candles on a few side tables. For a finishing touch, add a few throw pillows and blankets to the space.
Before you do, you’ll want to remove any stains or odors they’ve picked up from the previous summer and in storage. OxiClean™ Odor Blasters Versatile Stain & Odor Remover can help here. Get started by removing the covers from the pillows and furniture cushions, then gather up your outdoor blankets.
Here are the steps to pretreat those stains and refresh your pillows and blankets:
- Mix a gallon of the warmest water possible and one scoop to line 2-4 of OxiClean™ Odor Blasters Versatile Stain & Odor Remover to a container or sink until completely dissolved.
- Add your pillow covers and blankets to the OxiClean™ solution.
- Allow to soak for one to six hours.
- Add a scoop (to line one) to the washing machine drum along with your favorite laundry detergent and add the pillow covers and blankets to the washing machine.
- Wash them on a normal cycle.
- Dry as normal.
Once you’ve washed and dried your pillow covers and blankets, put the covers back on the pillows and place your pillows and blankets on your outdoor furniture.
Get your patio entertaining ready
Your patio transformation is almost complete. All you need are a few finishing touches. For this step, we’ll focus on stocking your drink cart, refreshing your tablecloths and napkins, and setting the table for your outdoor party.
To wow your guests with your drink cart, you’ll want to include cups, an area for ice and a nice variety of refreshing drinks that are loved by adults and kids. A good hack is to use disposable cups for the kids. It not only lessens the chance of your glassware breaking, but also gives the kids a chance to write their names on their cups and decorate them with markers, stickers and other art supplies. It’s a way to make something functional a fun activity.
Once your drink cart is stocked and ready to go, focus on sprucing up your tablecloths and napkins. Using them year after year, they’re bound to have stains and may look a little dingy. It’s time to refresh them and give them new life by using the power of OxiClean™.
Once they’re dry—and spotless—you can set the table with your newly refreshed tablecloth and napkins. To finish off the scene, add a beautiful bouquet of flowers to your table to brighten things up. You are now ready to entertain your guests with your newly refreshed backyard patio.
Now you can set the table with your newly refreshed tablecloth and napkins. To finish off the table, add a beautiful bouquet of flowers to your table to brighten things up. You are now ready to entertain your guests with your newly refreshed backyard patio.
When you have a plan mapped out and you’re equipped with the proper tools, you can transform your patio in a weekend. Being able to refresh items that you already own will not only save you money, but it’s also environmentally friendly. With the power and versatility of OxiClean™ Versatile Stain Remover, you can clean, refresh and take your backyard from drab to fab in no time at all. All that’s left to do is invite your friends and family over so everyone can enjoy your summer-ready outdoor living space. Pour a drink and enjoy a job well done.
OxiClean™- Versatile Stain Remover ($6.83) - BUY NOW