Need to know how to ripen avocados quickly? This California girl who grew up across the street from an avocado ranch can tell you! Of course, the best and simplest way to ripen avocados is to just let the process happen naturally by letting them sit for a day or two.
Wondering how much fat and calories are in an avocado? Find out here.
How to Ripen Avocados Quickly:
- Place 2-3 avocados in a brown paper bag, close the bag, and store at room temperature. If you don't have paper bags on hand, wrapping them in newspaper will also do. This will accelerate the natural ripening process.
- For even quicker ripening, add an apple, banana or a tomato to the bag.
- Check daily to see if avocados are ripe yet. Don't just judge by their color, as some varieties will retain their green color, even when ripe, rather than turning a deep greenish brown.
- Ripe avocados will peel easily and are soft, yet still firm and not squishy.
- Extra Tip: If your avocados are ripening before you have a chance to eat them, place them in the crisper of your refrigerator, as this will help them keep a bit longer once they are ripe.
- Some people advise microwaving avocados or putting them in the oven. While this will make them a little bit softer, it won't actually make them ripe. The best way to ripen an avocado is to place it in a paper bag with an apple or a banana and have a little patience. Don't ruin your incredible avocados by microwaving them!
See also: Avocado nutritional value
Now that you've got perfectly ripe avocados on hand, here's a few ways to use them up.
- Homemade Guacamole, 8 Ways
- Texas Caviar with Citrus and Avocado
- Macaroni and Cheese with Avocadoes
- Red Pepper Gazpacho Soup
- Avocado, Tomato and Mozzarella Caprese Salad
- Black Bean Guacamole
- Avocado and Mango Smoothie Recipe
- Avocado and Pesto Pasta Recipe
- Southwestern Bean and Corn Salad
- Italian Pasta Salad with Avocado and Artichokes
- Avocado Fudge Recipe
- Fresh Guacamole with Cumin