01 of 10
Yard Sale Treasure Map
Yard Sale Treasure Map may be the most revolutionary yard sale tool since the introduction of online classifieds.
Yard Sale Treasure Map is a web application created explicitly to make the process of mapping a yard sale route faster and easier. It offers yard sale junkies an alternative to hours of pouring over maps and listings. Among the features are:
- A map automatically populated with local Craigslist garage sale listings
- Customizable search options, including sales within a radius of a... particular address or sales offering specific items
- The ability to add additional garage sales, from local newspaper listings or other sources, to the map
- Rearranging the order of the route according to user's preferences
- Customizing and printing yard sale route directions
Yard Sale Treasure Map is free, and it's easy to use. Consider adding it to your list of yard sale shopping strategies.Continue to 2 of 10 below.
02 of 10
Enter Your Search Criteria
In the upper left corner of the page, enter your search criteria to populate your map with Craigslist garage sale listings:
- Start Address: You can enter city and state, zip code, or a specific street address. If you just want to attend sales in your own neighborhood, use your street address. If you wish to target a specific neighborhood, enter a street address within it, perhaps a centrally located one.
- Radius: Use the drop-down menu to select a sale radius around your starting address.
- Day: Use... the drop-down menu to select the day you wish to shop, Wednesday through Sunday.
- Click the Search button to populate your map.
If you are looking for something specific, you can search for listings that mention your item. After following the steps above:
- Choose the Control Tab.
- Type the name of your desired item in the Items Search box.
- Click the Search Items button.
You'll see a pop-up window with a list of sales offering your item. Click on a sale to see the full listing. You might wish to make these sales among the first on your route, starting times permitting.Continue to 3 of 10 below.
03 of 10
Browse Your Map
On your map, you'll see red markers for all the Craigslist garage sales listings within your search parameters. Each marker has a number on it, but ignore them for now. The numbers represent the suggested order of stops, but you'll rearrange them later, according to starting times and high priority sales.
The lone green marker is the starting address you entered for your search.
Click on each marker for a pop-up with the full listing. If you decide not to attend a sale after reading the... listing, just click Delete in the lower left corner of the pop-up to delete that marker from your map.Continue to 4 of 10 below.
04 of 10
Browse Unmappable Craigslist Yard Sales
When a listing doesn't have an exact street address, sale date, or doesn't look like a yard sale listing, it isn't automatically mapped. But, as a local resident and human, you'll probably be able to decipher "tomorrow on Union across from the store with the big red sign covered in blue chickens", so you can map those sales manually:
Continue to 5 of 10 below.
- On the left side of the page, choose the Other Listings tab.
- Use the Next and Previous buttons at the bottom to read all the unmappable... listings. Even if your search was just for a specific neighborhood or zip code, all unmappable listings in your city will be included.
- When you find a yard sale you wish to attend, click Map This Sale.
05 of 10
Add Unmappable Craigslist Yard Sales to Your Map
After you've clicked Map This Sale, there are two ways to add an unmappable sale to your map and create a marker:
- If you have the exact street address, enter it in the pop-up window and click Update Listing.
- If you know roughly where it is on the map, but not the exact street address, first close the pop-up window. Next, enlarge the map until you can see the streets you need, using the vertical blue bar in the upper left corner. Double click on the location of your sale and a marker will... appear on the map.
- Repeat the previous two steps until you've mapped all the unmappable sales you wish to attend.
Note: Planned upgrades include "a way for users to update incorrect addresses and permanently locate postings that are in the unmappable category", according to Yard Sale Treasure Map creator Shawn Kolodgie.Continue to 6 of 10 below.
06 of 10
Add Yard Sales from Newspaper / Other Sources
Craigslist isn't the only source for garage sale listings. You'll also want to shop sales listed in your local newspaper, on yard sale signs, etc. You'll need to add these sales manually:
Continue to 7 of 10 below.
- Choose the Controls tab on the left side of the page.
- Enter the street address of the estate or yard sale.
- Click the Search Location button.
07 of 10
Create Map Markers for Yard Sales from Newspaper / Other Sources
After you've clicked the Search Location button on page 6, a yellow thumbtack will appear on your map at the address you entered:
- Click the thumbtack, and a pop-up will appear to confirm the street address.
- Click Add To Map if the address is correct, and the thumbtack will become a map marker.
- Repeat the steps on pages 6 and 7 until you've added all the additional sales you wish to attend.
If you think you'll need coffee or a restroom break at some point, you can add those stops to... your route.
Planned upgrades to Yard Sale Treasure Map include a third tab to make mapping non-Craigslist sales faster and easier and a way to share those additions with other users.Continue to 8 of 10 below.
08 of 10
Optimize Your Route
Now that you've got all the sales on your map, you'll need to optimize the route. You're still going to tweak the order of stops in the next step, but for now, make sure you aren't unnecessarily zigzagging across town:
Continue to 9 of 10 below.
- Choose the Controls tab.
- Click the Optimize Route button
09 of 10
Rearrange Your Route
To rearrange your route by starting times and high priority sales, just drag and drop markers until your yard sale route is in your preferred order.
Note: If you used a starting address other than your own, you might want to add yours and make it the first stop on the route. That way, your directions will start from your home.Continue to 10 of 10 below.
10 of 10
Print Your Map
You're nearly ready to start shopping. You just need to print your route:
- Choose the Controls tab.
- If you want the directions to include the way back home, check the Round Trip box.
- Click the Print Directions button.
- You'll get a pop-up page from Google maps with your directions. Select text only or maps in the upper left corner, or mouse over the direction steps to create a combination.
- Click the Print button in the upper right corner.