Wedding cards give you the opportunity to congratulate the couple and express a few personal, heartfelt sentiments. It’s essential to be positive and show your support for the newlyweds.
Value of Writing a Wedding Card
Even if you purchased the perfect wedding gift for the couple, it’s important to write something thoughtful on the card. A heartfelt message will make any gift much more special.
Put Some Thought Into It
A wedding card can be one with a preprinted message or a blank card that provides space for you to write whatever you want. It doesn’t matter which type of card you choose, as long as you personalize it. As tempting as it may be to simply sign one that already has a nice message, you still need to express some thoughts in your own words.
Since you want the card to look nice, it’s best to jot your message on a separate piece of paper before writing it directly on the card. That way, you can edit it to make sure it has the sentiment you want. It’s best to use blue or black ink when writing your message.
Thoughtful Messages for a Wedding Card
Of course, you’ll want to write something personal, but make sure you keep it positive. Avoid the urge to say anything that might embarrass either the bride or the groom. Never bring up something that has hints of negativity.
Here are some thoughtful messages that you can use and tweak to make them more personal:
- I’m so happy that the two of you found each other. I wish you a long, joyful marriage.
- We’re delighted to witness the two of you saying, “I do.” And we wish you the best of everything in your life as a married couple.
- Your affection for each other is apparent in everything you do. May your love continue to grow through the years.
- Congratulations on your new marriage. I wish both of you all the happiness in the world.
- Best wishes to the two of you on this happy day.
- I’m delighted to see the two of you getting married, and I look forward to watching your journey together.
- We’re praying for a happy life for both of you.
- Thank you so much for inviting us to share this special day with you. We wish the two of you many years of joy and love.
Message for a Card When You Don’t Attend the Wedding
It’s obvious that you need to send or give the couple a card if you’re invited to the wedding. However, whether you can’t go or weren’t on the guest list, it’s still a good idea to show your support with a nice message. You can hand it to the couple next time you see them, or you can put it in the mail.
Here are some ideas for a wedding card if you aren’t at the wedding:
- We wish you a long and happy life together.
- I’m so happy the two of you have each other. May you be blessed with many years of joy.
- The two of you are pretty fabulous by yourselves, but you’re off-the-charts wonderful as a couple. We wish you the very best.
- Although we weren’t able to make it to the wedding, our thoughts and prayers were with you. We’re thrilled that the two of you are now a married couple, and we look forward to seeing you soon.
Wedding Card Message From a Family Member
When your son, daughter, niece, nephew, or other family member gets married, it’s still a good idea to write a sincere message. It’s a great way to welcome the new family member and let them know you’re rooting for their marriage.
Here are some wedding card messages you may want to write when a family member gets married:
- We’re delighted to be getting a new (son-in-law, daughter-in-law, niece, nephew). We look forward to many years of getting to know you better and making memories.
- Your wedding is a wonderful celebration of your love. Welcome to the family.
- We’re happy to welcome you to our family.
- This is a joyful time for all of us. We’re happy the two of you have each other, and just as happy to have you as a new family member.
Casual Wedding Card Messages
There may be a time when you want to keep the message casual, and that's fine. Just make sure you keep it upbeat and avoid being trite.
Here are some examples of casual wedding card messages:
- Best wishes on your new marriage.
- We hope you have a wonderful, joy-filled life together.
- May the two of you enjoy your journey as a couple.
Funny Wedding Card Messages
There is nothing wrong with injecting a little humor in your wedding card message. However, you do need to be cautious as you consider the sense of humor of both the bride and the groom. Avoid over-the-top sarcasm and anything that might embarrass either of them.
Here are a few funny examples of funny wedding card messages:
- May your life together be as delicious as your wedding cake. Congratulations to both of you!
- Now that the expensive wedding is over, it's time to get your money's worth. Go have fun, you two.
- Congratulations on getting married. Now you can binge watch TV in your ratty sweats and socks.
Wedding Card Closing
When you write a wedding card message, don’t forget to add a nice closing. It also needs to be warm and heartfelt, but it doesn’t have to be long.
Here are some appropriate closings:
- Best wishes always,
- With love,
- Many blessings to the two of you,
- Wishing you blessings and years of joy together,
When to Send a Wedding Card
There is some flexibility in the timing of sending your card. If you’re invited to the wedding, you may send it right away. You may also bring the card to the wedding and hand it to the couple during the reception. If for some reason you don’t send a card before the wedding or give it to the bride and groom at the wedding, you may send it up to a couple of months after the event.