Idaho Marriage License Laws

Kayaking and Camping in Idaho
Patrick Orton/Getty Images

Please note that state and county marriage license requirements often change. The following information is for guidance only and should not be regarded as legal advice. It is important that you verify all information with your local marriage license office or county clerk before making any wedding or travel plans.

If you want to get married in Idaho, you must first apply for a marriage license in your local County Recorder's office. For an interactive list of every Idaho County click here.

Idaho ID Requirement

When you apply for a marriage license in Idaho, a birth certificate and driver's license are required along with your Social Security Number.

Idaho Residence Requirement

You do not have to be a resident of Idaho.

Previous Marriages

If previously married, the date of divorce or date of spouse's death must be supplied.

Premarital Education in Idaho

Premarital education is not required.

Waiting Period in Idaho

There is no waiting period.

Idaho Marriage License Fees

Costs for getting married in Idaho can vary from county to county. Most charge $30 for a marriage license, while some counties charge an additional $20 if it is issued on a Saturday. .Some counties accept cash-only payments. Check with your local County Recorder for more detailed information.

Other Tests in Idaho

As required by Idaho Code 32-412A, you both need to read and sign a premarital AIDS educational pamphlet.

Proxy Marriage in Idaho

Proxy marriage is not permitted.

Cousin Marriage in Idaho

First cousins cannot marry in Idaho.

Common-Law Marriage In Idaho

Your common-law marriage will be recognized in Idaho only if it was created before January 1, 1996.

Same-Sex Marriages

Same-sex marriage is permitted in Idaho.

Under 18

If you are 16 or 17 years of age, you will need to have a certified copy or your original birth certificate, or a passport, or a driver's license or state I.D. card. You must be accompanied by one of your parents or your legal guardian and have written parental consent on the Affidavit of Consent to Marriage of Minor. If you are under 16 years of age, you will also need a court order.


Priests or ministers of any denomination, and judges, or other designated officials, i.e., mayor or governor may perform weddings.


The license doesn't expire.

Copy of Certificate of Marriage

Bureau of Vital Records and Health Statistics
450 W. State St., 1st Floor
Boise, ID 83720
(208) 334-5980
Fax: 208-389-9096