A long narrow hallway is considered bad feng shui if not taken care of properly. The reason the feng shui of a long and narrow hallway is bad is because its energy is a combination of Sha Chi, a rushing and sharp feng shui energy, and Si Chi, a slow and decaying feng shui energy. Not to despair, though, as there are few home design challenges that cannot be improved with smart feng shui decorating. If you have some windows in the hallway or light coming through open doors, you are lucky, as this brings better energy. If not, you'll have to create it.
Feng Shui Considerations for Long Hallways
In considering the choice of feng shui cures for an extended hallway, look at three main factors:
- Hallway length compared to width
- Door and window positioning
- What happens at termination
These factors are important, as they will determine the choice of best feng shui cures. For example, a long hallway that has some natural light can greatly benefit from smart positioning of mirrors. However, if you have a bedroom door at the end of the hallway, you'll have to be careful as to how your position your mirrors so as not to weaken the feng shui energy entering your bedroom.
Feng Shui Long Hallway Tips
Your goal is to bring vibrant, alive and smoothly flowing energy to the low energy of a narrow hallway. The following suggestions will help turn a bare hallway into one of your favorite spots in your house:
- Colorful art and vibrant images always bring good energy to a stagnant space, so they are often used in the decor of a long hallway. However, a big mistake (from a feng shui point of view) is to arrange the art in a straight line. This will only emphasize the Sha Chi that you want to soften, so do not do that. In using feng shui for a long hallway, art should always be arranged in a creative gallery style on both walls, so as to create a sense of natural flow and a visual adventure.
- Good lighting is good feng shui. Look at ways to "enlighten" your dark, narrow hallway with the smart use of lighting. Picture lighting works well, or any other tasteful source of ambient lighting. Do not go for direct ceiling lights, as this will only severe the feng shui energy of a long hallway (unless you use track lighting with halogen lights that can be directed at both walls). The light should be on the walls, not on the ceiling. This will make space open up and feel wider.
- A strong focal point will help ground the energy. Choose where in your long hallway you can create a strong focal point (with art or wall color.) If there's a plain wall at the end of the hallway, this can be a great opportunity to empower it to become a feng shui focal point. A beautiful mural can be of great feng shui help if chosen wisely.
- Feng shui elements should be taken into consideration when choosing colors or art for your long narrow hallway. For example, if the end of the hallway falls into the south Bagua area, choose fire or wood feng shui element colors and art. The same applies to each wall you are dealing with in your hallway. Once you know your bagua area, it's really easy to choose the best colors and images for your space.
Don't fret if you have a long, empty hallway in your home. With just a bit of mindful feng shui effort, you can easily transform a boring long narrow hallway into a fun visual adventure.