Question: If a staircase is bad feng shui, what tips can I use to achieve good feng shui?
Answer: A staircase in itself is not bad feng shui. You have to have a staircase in a house with several levels, don't you?
The so-called bad feng shui reputation of staircases resembles the one of bathrooms as being bad feng shui. Both are needed, and both can contribute to good feng shui energy in your home.
The feng shui concern with staircases is that a staircase typically creates a quality of energy that is unsettling.
Depending on the energy flow in a specific home - as determined by its floor plan - this unsettling energy can easily spread throughout the house.
When trying to access the feng shui of a specific staircase, look at these factors:
The Location of the Staircase
The worst feng shui locations of a staircase inside a home are:
The Design and Style of the Staircase
The worst feng shui designs of a staircase are:
- The design with open space between the steps
- A staircase with metal railing and handrails in a wood feng shui element area.
Generally, it is best to avoid the spiral shaped (or corkscrew) design of a staircase in the center of the house, especially if the staircase is made mostly from metal.
Because the feng shui energy of a staircase is an unsettled, up-and-down energy, it is good to focus on creating a more balanced, grounded energy by applying easy feng shui decor tips.
For example, you can:
- Use surrounding walls to display art and photos in visually strong frames. Choose colors and materials according to the feng shui element needed in the specific bagua area.
- Install lighting with a strong presence, this can help ground and calm the energy. You can choose one big chandelier or several visually attractive wall sconces; decide which design suits your home style the best.
- Consider adding beautiful architectural features, be it wainscoting or mouldings, they will add character and presence to your staircase area.
- Maximize your landing area space by adding beautiful art or healthy, lush plants in stylish pots. If the bagua area where your staircase is located can benefit from the water feng shui element, sure consider adding a framed mirror or a small fountain.
Read: Feng Shui Use of Mirrors
With just a bit of planning and effort, you can truly transform the energy of your staircase and stop worrying about its bad feng shui!
Continue Reading: All About the Feng Shui of Staircases in Your House