It's tough to find cinnamon ice cream in stores but thanks to this super-simple recipe, you don't need an ice cream maker to serve this fantastic flavor. Simply add your own cinnamon to your favorite vanilla ice cream. The warm notes of cinnamon in the cold smooth ice cream may bring back pleasant memories from your youth.
The proportions are given for a single serving, but you can easily adjust the spice for larger quantities of ice cream.
- 1 cup vanilla ice cream (good-quality, slightly softened)
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Place the ice cream in a bowl. Sprinkle 1/8 teaspoon of the cinnamon over the ice cream, then stir until it is well-distributed. Taste for seasoning, and add more cinnamon if desired.
- Enjoy immediately, or cover and place in the freezer for a bit if you prefer firmer ice cream.
- Use it soon because refrozen ice cream often gets an unpleasant grainy texture and isn't as smooth and creamy.
How to Serve Cinnamon Ice Cream
Cinnamon ice cream is a great accompaniment for apple pie and other fruit desserts.
It can dress up a fruitcake for the holidays or go perfectly with pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving. Try a dollop of cinnamon ice cream in your coffee or on top of a hot coffee cocktail or with hot apple cider with a cinnamon stick for mixing or swirling.
Making a Larger Quantity of Cinnamon Ice Cream
If you want to stir up a whole container of ice cream with cinnamon, you should let it soften for a bit in the refrigerator. Don't let it melt for too long or you'll be having cinnamon soup instead of ice cream. You'll have to adjust the measurement of cinnamon to match the amount of ice cream you are mixing.
Similar Spice Ideas to Transform Vanilla Ice Cream
If you liked this cinnamon ice cream hack, try it with other spices or spice combinations. One that comes to mind is using a pumpkin-pie spice mixture in vanilla ice cream. If you love egg nog, try nutmeg in vanilla ice cream as an easy hack. Ground ginger mixed into ice cream will make a spicy accompaniment for many desserts. Give allspice a try as well. You can look through your spice cabinet for many ways to turn plain old vanilla ice cream into something downright artisanal.