Hunt for bargains in west central Iowa at the Highway 141 Garage Sale. Held annually since 2003, the event has grown to include 20 participating cities and more than 150 miles. The route starts in Grimes and runs west to Sloan or vice versa.
- Grimes, Iowa to Sloan, Iowa
- The route runs along Highway 141 for just over 150 miles
- 20 participating cities along the route: Grimes, Granger, Woodward, Bouton, Perry, Dawson, Jamaica, Bagley, Bayard, Coon Rapids, Templeton, Manning, Manilla, Denison, Chater Oak, Ute, Mapleton, Smithland, Hornick and Sloan
Dates and Times
- First Friday and Saturday of every August
- 2019 Dates: August 2 and 3
- 2020 Dates (expected): August 7 and 8
- Sales officially start at 8:00 a.m.
Along the Way
- Expect to see family yard sales, pop-up flea markets and professional dealers
- Concessions are available along the route, from food trucks and local eateries.
- Make arrangements for local lodging if you're traveling to the event from out of town. There are too many sales and stops to manage in a single day.
Highway 141 Garage Sale Shopping Tips
- Look for garage sale signs pointing to off-highway sales as you drive through participating towns.
- Before you go, put a flea market tool kit together. A cooler full of cold water comes in handy too.
- Expect to get the best bargains on the afternoon of the garage sale's second day, but feel free to haggle for a better price at any time. Just make sure you don't haggle the rude way.
Selling at the Highway 141 Garage Sale
- Contact the Highway 141 Garage Sale representative for your participating town if you'd like to set up a sale during the event.
- If you don't live in a participating town, here is the address to write for more information about where you'd like to sell and how to rent space: Highway 141 Association, Attention: Sharon Prince, 3320 110th Street, Jamaica, Iowa 50128.
- You may be charged a small registration fee (typically $5 to $10) to sell at the event. The fee helps cover the town's participation fee, event promotions, and your sale's inclusion on any local garage sale maps.
- If your town would like to become an official participating community during upcoming events, email Highway 141 Association at: firstname.lastname@example.org.