Make your own fresh Israeli pita breads ( pitot in Hebrew) with this easy 5-ingredient recipe.
If you divide the dough into 20 pieces, your pitot will be on the smaller side. If you prefer larger breads, divide into 10 or 15 pieces.
In this recipe, the pitot get a second rise on their baking sheets before a quick bake in a very hot oven. This technique can yield pitot that don't puff to create pockets (although they are delicious nonetheless.)
If you want stuffable pockets for falafel or other sandwiches, consider baking on a heated baking stone or sheet instead.
- 2 (.25-ounce) packages (42 g) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
- 4 cups (500 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt
- In a large bowl, whisk together the yeast, sugar and lukewarm water. Let stand for 10 minutes in a warm place until the yeast blooms and the mixture is foamy.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour and salt. Add to the yeast mixture and stir well until you have a shaggy dough.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover the bowl with a tea towel or plastic wrap, and leave to rise in a warm place for 1 hour, or until the dough has doubled in volume.
- Punch down the dough. Knead a few times, then divide into 20 small balls.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper (make sure yours is oven safe to 500 F) or silicone liners.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each ball into a thin disc. Place pitot on the prepared baking sheets, cover and allow to rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 500 F (260 C). Place the baking sheets on the bottom racks of the oven. Bake until the pitot puff up, about 5 to 7 minutes. Keep an eye on them -- they can burn quickly.
- Serve it warm from the oven with Israeli hummus, baba ganoush and Israeli salad. Once completely cool, extra pita can be stored in food storage bags in the refrigerator or freezer.
Edited by Miri Rotkovitz