Looking for the perfect quick and easy way to cook cannellini beans and rice or another kind of white beans and rice? Here's one simple Italian-inspired way.
Using just five ingredients, you can serve this easy vegetarian rice and beans dish with Italian seasonings as a side, or, add some sauteed tofu or seitan to make it a main meal. All you need it a can of tomatoes, an can of beans, some instant rice (or you can use leftover rice if you have some on hand that you need to use up), a bit of Italian seasoning and a dash of salt and pepper, and you've got yourself a meal.
Whip up a side green salad or stick some garlic bread in the oven to make it a full healthy vegetarian dinner as quick as can be and, of course, rice and beans are a staple of anyone trying to eat cheap, whether you're vegetarian, vegan or not!
This Italian white beans and rice recipe is vegetarian, vegan, and completely gluten-free.
Recipe courtesy of Bush's® Beans.
Looking for more vegetarian rice recipes? You can find many more vegetarian rice recipes right here on TheSpruce, including Asian rice salad, vegetable fried rice, curried rice, or, perhaps it's a few vegetarian risotto recipes or vegetarian Spanish rice paella recipes you're after, or, if you're cooking on a budget and are looking for more ways to make rice and beans, here's 8 completely non-boring ways to make rice and beans, including brown rice with pineapple, Cuban black rice and beans, rice soup, and more.
- 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes with Italian herbs (do not drain)
- 1 14.5 oz. can Great Northern beans or cannellini beans (or any kind of white bean), drained and rinsed
- 2/3 cup instant rice, uncooked
- 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- Sea salt or kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Place the diced tomatoes (don't drain), the Great Northern beans or cannellini beans (drained and rinsed), 2/3 cup instant rice (or you can also use leftover pre-cooked rice), uncooked in a medium saucepan, and season lightly with a bit of Italian seasoning and a bit of sea salt or kosher salt and fresh black pepper.
- Place the saucepan over medium-high heat and allow to cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. The dish is done once the rice is cooked and the beans and tomatoes are cooked through. There will still be a bit of saucy moisture, some of which will evaporate as the dish cools slightly.
- Taste, and adjust seasonings to taste. Add a bit more sea salt or perhaps even seasoned salt, or top if off with nutritional yeast or another vegan Parmesan cheese substitute (or just serve with Parmesan cheese if you and your family aren't eating fully vegan). Enjoy!
Like this recipe? Then you'll love 7 exciting ways to make rice and beans