Jackie Craven is an expert writer for The Spruce in architecture and design. She has over two decades of experience covering these topics.
- Over 20 years in the industry and writing about architecture and the arts
- Author of two books on home decor and sustainable design
Jackie Craven is an arts writer and a poet. Her credits include books on interior design, columns for House & Garden magazine and Realtor.org, widely-published poetry and fiction, and travel features for the Providence Journal. She covered architecture and the visual arts for ThoughtCo (formerly About Education) for 20 years, beginning in January 1999.
Dr. Craven has taught literature and writing courses at several colleges and universities, including the University at Albany, SUNY. The New York Times called Dr. Craven "one of the Internet's reigning authorities on buildings and architecture."
Dr. Craven earned her Doctor of Arts from the University at Albany, SUNY. Her dissertation explored the role of the persona in nonfiction prose. She also received a Master's in Literacy Education from the University at Albany and a B.A. in English from Virginia Commonwealth University.
Awards and Publications
• Secret Formulas & Techniques of the Masters (2018, Brick Road Poetry Press)
• Pushcart Nominee (2018, Brick Road Poetry Press; 2017, Salamander Magazine)
• Our Lives Became Unmanageable (2016, winner of the Omnidawn Fabulist Fiction Award)
• The Stress Free Home: Beautiful Interiors for Serenity and Harmonious Living (2003, Quarry Books)
• The Healthy Home: Beautiful Interiors That Enhance The Environment And Your Well-Being (2003, Quarry Books)
About The Spruce
The Spruce, a Dotdash Meredith brand, is a new kind of home website offering practical, real-life tips and inspiration to help you create your best home. The Spruce reaches 32 million people each month. Learn more about us and our editorial process, and our commitment to ensuring we are providing you with the most trustworthy advice by certified experts for your home and garden.