Salmon patties are called salmon croquettes more often than not This version is flavored with Italian seasoned bread crumbs. Feel free to use garlic or Parmesan seasoned bread crumbs if you'd like. They are a simple combination of canned salmon, the bread crumbs, and some onion. An egg helps bind the salmon mixture together.
Serve salmon patties with a tossed salad or coleslaw or make them part of a hearty meal with scalloped potatoes or macaroni and cheese. English peas make a tasty side dish, or serve them with your family's favorite vegetables. Sliced cucumbers or a basic cucumber sauce would be good as well. See the tips for a quick cucumber sauce and some flavor variations.
- Remove skin and bones from salmon; flake and drain well.
- In mixing bowl, combine the salmon with egg, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, and onion.
- Make patties about 2 inches in diameter.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Fry the salmon patties in the hot oil for about 8 to 10 minutes, turning to brown both sides.
- Sprinkle the salmon patties lightly with salt before serving.
Tips and Variations
- Quick Cucumber Sauce: In a bowl, combine 1/2 cup of sour cream with 1/2 to 3/4 cup of chopped cucumber, 1 teaspoon of cider vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon of dried dill weed, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, and a dash of onion powder.
- Add a few tablespoons of finely chopped celery to the salmon mixture along with the onion.
- Add about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of dried dill weed and a dash of garlic powder along with the salt and pepper.