These special chocolate-covered cherry cookies are baked with a chocolate covered maraschino cherry in the center.A small amount of the maraschino cherry juice is added to the chocolate covering.
Bake these chocolate-covered cherry cookies for a birthday party, Valentine's day, or any special occasion.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 jar maraschino cherries (10 ounces), drained, reserve juice
- 1 package (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips (1 cup)
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder and soda; blending well and set aside. In a mixing bowl, beat together butter or margarine and sugar on low speed until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; beat well. Gradually add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture; beat until smooth and well blended.
- With hands, shape dough into 1-inch balls; place on ungreased baking sheet. Press down center of dough with thumb.
- Drain Maraschino cherries well, reserving juice. Place a cherry in the center indention of each cookie.
- In small saucepan combine chocolate pieces and sweetened condensed milk; heat over low heat until chocolate is melted. Stir in 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon of the reserved cherry juice. Spoon about 1 teaspoon of the topping over each cherry, spreading to cover cherry. If frosting seems too thick, thin with a little more cherry juice.
- Bake at 350° for 10 minutes, or until done. Remove to wire rack to cool.
Makes about 3 dozen cookies, depending on size.
"My mother has been making these since I was a toddler, they are from a sweetened condensed milk recipe they once put on the back of the can. They are the best and not well known, I love making these for friends at holiday time. We are now a gluten/casein free family so I was able to modify them and they taste just as delicious!" — S.C.
"I was looking for a recipe for chocolate cookies to take to work on Valentine's Day and came across this one. They are so good!!. They are very easy to make as well. Everyone just loved them and are now asking for the recipe. I will certainly make them again and will add them to my list of Christmas cookies." — Frances
"These are fabulous! They are so moist and do taste like a chocolate covered cherry. They are fun to make, they do take a little time but are totally worth it, every single person I gave some to did ask me for the recipe. I will make these every year for Christmas to give away on trays as well as for cookie swap, that is, the ones me and my hubby don't eat!" — Jessica
"I made these cookies last christmas and my husband loved them. I like chocolate covered cherries but these cookies are better. I sent this recipe to my daughter in Pennsylvania." — Steeler Fan
"This is the first time I've ever taken the time to write a review of ANYTHING, if that tells you how good they are!! The cookies are so moist and fudge-like despite the dough looking really dry. The fudge topping is great especially with the cherry juice added to it. NICE TOUCH! I love these things and next time will make a double batch!" — E.T.
You Might Also Like