This barbecue sauce is spiked with a generous amount of Kentucky bourbon. For a spicier sauce, add extra cayenne pepper or some Sriracha sauce.
This is an excellent sauce to use on brisket or a slow cooker pot roast. Or brush the sauce on grilled burgers or chops.
- 2 cups tomato ketchup
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 cup Jim Beam Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
- 4 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- dash liquid smoke, to taste, optional
- Combine all ingredients in 2-quart saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low; simmer uncovered 20 minutes, or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Makes about 3 cups.
- For extra smoky flavor, add 1 teaspoon of liquid smoke to the sauce.
- Reduce the sugar by about half for a less sweet sauce.