This easy chicken casserole — also known as hot chicken salad — can be made with lighter ingredients, and it makes a fabulous family meal.
Serve this chicken with hot cooked rice or add cooked noodles to the dish (see the reader suggestions). Add a tossed salad and biscuits for a tasty meal.
I topped my chicken casserole with "Cool Ranch" Doritos (pictured).
From Joan "This is a great one I use all the time for family and company."
- 3 pounds boneless chicken breasts, cooked
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 can sliced water chestnuts
- 2 tablespoons finely minced onion
- 1 (10 1/2 oz.) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup reduced fat mayonnaise
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- crushed potato chips
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Butter a 2 to 2 1/2-quart casserole dish.
- Cut cooked chicken into bite-size pieces.
- Mix chicken with remaining ingredients, except potato chips and paprika.
- Pour chicken mixture into the prepared casserole.
- Top with potato chips and sprinkle with the paprika.
- Bake, uncovered, in the preheated oven for about 30 to 40 minutes.
Joan's Notes: This freezes well before or after cooking. This recipe is just as good with no- and low-fat ingredients. Enjoy!
Reader Comments and Suggestions
"We add in a cup of grated cheddar and Reems Homestyle Noodles (in the freezer section by the dinner rolls and tortellini) cooked in chicken broth separately...then just the noodles are folded in. Everything else looks the same. Great pitch-in dish. Everyone wants the recipe, so bring it along with you!" Rose
You Might Also Like