When you are going to crochet a circle, granny square, hexagonal shape, or other similar type of pattern, your instructions may contain the directive to "join with a slip stitch to form a ring." Another variation would be the abbreviated form, which is "join w/ sl st to form ring."
How to Perform the Join with a Slip Stitch to Form a Ring
The pictures show what you would do if you encounter the instructions given in the example, "Ch 5, join with sl st to form ring."
- View A shows the chain stitches in progress; view B shows 5 chain stitches completed. Then you would take the chain stitches and gently form them into a ring; to close the ring, you would crochet your slip stitch into the very first chain stitch you worked in the beginning.
- View C. shows my crochet hook pointing to the spot you would insert your hook to work the slip stitch.
- View D shows my crochet hook inserted into the first chain stitch; I'm getting ready to grab the yarn and pull the loop through both the first chain stitch and the active loop on my hook. This will all be done in one step, although I've shown it broken down into two different pictures. (E. and F.)
- View G. is a zoomed-in enlargement of view F. Both of these pictures show how the ring looks at this point.
From there, you would continue to follow the instructions given in your pattern.
Slip Stitch Join: If you're looking for information about how to crochet a slip stitch join for granny squares or other finished pieces, see this tutorial: slip stitch join for crochet.
More about Crocheting Slip Stitches
This tutorial illustrates one possible use for slip stitches.
There are many other possible ways to use slip stitches. The following articles will give you some more ideas:
- How to crochet a slip stitch: Step by step photos on making a slip stitch.
- Slip stitches used in surface crochet: See how to work designs on the surface of your crochet item with a slip stitch.
- Slip stitch crochet - Pjoning and Bosnian crochet: You can use crochet to create a fabric. See how.
More about How to Join Crochet
If you would like additional information on the topic of how to join crochet, we do have some additional resources to help you with that. Check these pages for more information:
- Whip stitch tutorial: Learn how to join crocheted squares or pieces using the whip stitch.
- Methods for joining crocheted squares
- Crocheted seams