The hot brown sandwich was created in 1926 by chef Fred Schmidt for Louisville's Brown Hotel.
The original hot brown sandwich was made with sliced turkey on toast slices. The toast is arranged on a baking sheet with slices of turkey. The turkey is then topped with sliced tomatoes. A homemade cheese sauce (originally a Mornay sauce) covers each sandwich. The sandwiches are then broiled until browned and topped with crisp cooked bacon.
Any day is a great day for this tasty version of the delicious Kentucky Hot Brown sandwiches. Serve for lunch or dinner with chips, fries, or a cup of soup.
- 6 to 8 slices bacon
- 6 slices ciabatta bread or other thick crusty bread
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning or seasoned salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk, low fat is fine
- 1 cup shredded sharp or mild Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese or about 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard or similar gourmet mustard
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco, Texas Pete's, etc.
- 8 to 12 ounces thinly sliced turkey breast
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- freshly ground black pepper
Cook the bacon until crisp; drain on paper towels then crumble.
Toast the ciabatta bread and set aside.
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in flour and Creole seasoning until blended and bubbly. Gradually stir in the milk. Cook, stirring, until the mixture begins to simmer. Simmer, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the cheeses, mustard, and hot sauce. Remove from heat. Taste and add more Creole seasoning or salt, as needed.
Cover and keep warm.
Heat the broiler.
Arrange the toasted bread on a baking pan. Top each slice of bread with turkey, then arrange tomato slices over the turkey. Sprinkle with freshly ground pepper, then spoon cheese sauce over the tomatoes.
Put the open-faced sandwiches under the broiler and broil just until the cheese sauce begins to bubble and brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with bacon. Serve hot.
Serves 4 to 6.
You Might Also Like
Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Grilled Mushroom and Cheese Sandwich
Grilled Bacon, Tomato, and Cheese Sandwiches