Be careful substituting bottled lime juice for fresh. Check the label to be sure it is pure juice. Some varieties, such as the popular Rose's label, is sweetened. Do try to use fresh lime juice whenever a recipe calls for it. The flavor of fresh is much brighter and intense.
If you are unable to find limes, other citrus fruits will usually work in a pinch, although the end result will not be exactly as intended.
Lime Measures and Equivalents
• 1 pound Persian limes = 6 to 8 medium limes
• 1 pound Persian limes = 1/2 to 2/3 cup juice
• 1 medium Persian lime = 1 to 3 tablespoons juice
• 1 medium Persian lime = 1-1/2 teaspoons zest
• 1 cup fresh lime juice = 1 cup bottled lime juice
• Key lime juice substitute = 1/2 Persian lime juice and 1/2 lemon juice
• 1 pound Key limes = 12 to 16 Key limes
• 1 pound Key limes = 1/2 to 2/3 cup Key lime juice
• 1 medium Key lime = 2 to 3 teaspoons Key lime juice
In general, for Key lime equivalents, estimate 2 to 3 times the equivalents for Persian limes.