Back-to-school is right around the corner! Do you know what you'll be packing in your kid's lunchbox? Skip the store-bought, highly-processed, sugar-loaded confections, and make your own kid-friendly energy bites at home, instead! With just a handful of wholesome ingredients (and a bit of chocolate!) these energy bites can be mixed up in a matter of minutes.
These kid-friendly treats taste a bit like chewy chocolate chip granola bar snacks that you buy in the store, but in bite-sized form. They're sweetened with honey rather than processed sugar, and are packed with peanut butter and a touch of chocolate for a great flavor combo that your kids won't even realize is actually good for them. Make sure to add in ground flax seed or other edible seeds for extra health benefits.
In addition to being a great school-day snack, these energy bites are so easy to make that you can have your kids join in on the process! Everything is stirred together in a single bowl, and then drizzled with melted chocolate. Take advantage of this easy recipe as a great way to get your kids involved in the kitchen, and in make great choices when it comes to their snacks!
- 1 1/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 Tablespoons mini chocolate chips
- 1 Tablespoon ground flax seed (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate melting wafers, for dipping and drizzling
- Combine oats, coconut flakes, peanut butter, honey, chocolate chips, flax seed (if using), vanilla extract, and salt in large bowl.
- Stir well, until all ingredients are well-combined.
- Using your hands, roll energy bite mixture into two-teaspoon-sized balls. Place on a wax paper lined cookie sheet and transfer to the freezer for 10 minutes while you prepare your chocolate for dipping/drizzling.
- While energy bites are chilling, prepare dark chocolate melting wafers by placing in a small, microwave-safe bowl and heating at 15-second increments (stirring well in-between) until chocolate is completely melted.
- Remove energy bites from the refrigerator and use a spoon to drizzle melted chocolate over each energy bite, or dip the bottoms of the bites into the chocolate and return to wax paper to harden (I like to do a mix of both for variety; some drizzled and some dipped).
- Transfer energy bites to the refrigerator and chill one hour before serving and enjoying.
- Prepared energy bites should be kept chilled in the refrigerator (for firmness) in an airtight container.