01 of 07
Easy Paper Mache Bowl Craft
Paper mache bowls having been around for centuries, with good reason. This is a craft that is easy enough for a child to master, yet artistic adults can also get amazingly, professional results with a little bit of effort.
Todays paper craft tutorial focuses on children and is very easy to make. Circle pattern pdf printables are available for free download. Just follow the tutorial instructions and your children will have paper mache bowls the will be proud to give their mom as a gift. Just in... time for Mothers day.
Continue to 2 of 7 below.
- Mod Podge
- Blue Printable Pattern Download
- Child Safe Scissors
- Foam Brush
- Plastic Sheet or newspaper to protect work surface
- Round glass, plastic or metal bowl
- Saran wrap clear plastic
- Laser or ink jet paper
- Computer paper
- *Optional Latex Gloves to protect hands
02 of 07
Easy Paper Mache Bowl Craft: Steps 1-5
Continue to 3 of 7 below.
- Download the pdf printable
- Print one copy of the sheet that has the solid blue dot onto plain computer paper. Do not use card stock as the paper is too thick and will not hold the shape of the bowl.
- Print as many pages as you think you will need for the size of your bowl.
- Place the printed sheets face down in your printer and print the blue square onto the backside of the patterned printed sheets.
- If you have done this correctly, each sheet should have a patterned side and a side with a solid blue... background.
03 of 07
Easy Paper Mache Bowl Craft: Steps 6-7
6. Cut out all of the circles with scissors.
7. You should have one circle that has solid blue on both sides, and the rest should have one blue side and one patterned side.Continue to 4 of 7 below.
04 of 07
Easy Paper Mache Bowl Craft: Steps 8-10
8. Turn your bowl upside down
9. Cover the bottom of the bowl with saran wrap.
10. Make sure that the saran wrap is as smooth as possible with the least amount of wrinkles possible.Continue to 5 of 7 below.
05 of 07
Easy Paper Mache Bowl Craft: Steps 11-14
12. Apply a layer of mod podge with the foam brush to the back and front sides of the double sided blue circle.
13. Place the blue circle onto the top center of your plastic covered bowl.
14. Press the circle down firmly with your fingers to make sure it is securely attached.Continue to 6 of 7 below.
06 of 07
Easy Paper Mache Bowl Craft: Steps 15-17
15. Continue to glue the circles patterned side down and form a row around the center circle.
16. Add a second row of mod podge circles onto the first row as in the photo above.
17. All the entire project to dry at least 24 hours before removing the paper mache bowl.Continue to 7 of 7 below.
07 of 07
Easy Paper Mache Bowl Craft: Step 18
18. Gently pry the mod podge bowl from your glass or metal bowl.
19. Carefully pull away any saran wrap that may be sticking to your paper mache bowl.
20. Trim any glue or ragged edges with scissors to produce a smoother edge.
If you liked this tutorial and would like to learn more about the art of paper mache for children make sure to check out the following links here on about.com:
How to Paper Mache Learn the fundamental concepts of the craft of paper mache.
A Fabulous Paper Mache Recipe that You... do not have to cook. (How great is that?)
Several Types of Paper Mache Recipes There are several ways to maker paper mache paste. You have to decide which type to use according to the kind of craft project you are making. This article will show you how to get the best results possible.
Step by step paper mache recipes This is a great article for beginners.
How to make paper mache pulp out of dryer lint Save your dryer sheets for recycling into paper mache pulp, what a unique money saving tip!
After reading all these great articles you will surely be making paper mache projects like a pro! If you have a great paper mache project that you would like to have featured send me an email at allaboutpapercrafts@gmail with an original clear sharp photograph. Not every submission will be published but all submissions will be considered.