If you use Kosher ingredients and follow the rules of Kosher cooking, this is the perfect treat for Passover.
Thanks to MaryB55 for posting this recipe in the former Desserts and Baking Forum.
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups shredded coconut
- 2 squares (2 ounces) Kosher chocolate (unsweetened or semi-sweet) – optional
- Preheat the oven to 325 F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Separate the whites from the yolks. Set the yolks aside for another use. Beat the egg whites until they are light and fluffy. Gradually beat in the sugar and vanilla. Beat until the egg white peaks are very stiff. Hand stir in the coconut.
- Drop the coconut mixture in rounded teaspoons full. They should be at least 2 inches apart on the parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Bake the macaroons approximately 19-20 minutes. Allow them to cool completely and then carefully remove them from the parchment paper.
- This recipe makes about 3 dozen macaroons.
- For chocolate macaroons, melt chocolate in the microwave. Add the 2 squares of melted chocolate to the batter before baking.
- This recipe may be halved. Just divide the batter in half only adding only 1 square of chocolate to the batter.
To keep “Kosher” during Passover, there are several rules to follow when preparing and consuming food. The rules that pertain more to desserts are:
- When possible, try to use products that are certified Kosher especially items like salt.
- You should not use the same cutting board that has been used for meat.
- Make sure any fruits and vegetables you make desserts with are clean and insect free.
- No leavening agents are allowed. Therefore, foods like breads and cakes should be avoided.
- Only Kosher wines and juices are allowed at this time.
- To get a much better understanding of cooking Kosher, be sure to visit our site to Kosher Cooking.
More Kosher Dessert Recipes:
Take the sweetness of honey and the chocolate chips, add to that the crunch of matzo and the sea salt topping, and you’ve got every woman’s sweet and salty dessert.