- 2 (9-inch) ready-to-bake pie crusts
- 5 medium-size sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups soy milk
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place sweet potatoes in a 4-quart pot with enough cold water to cover. Cover pot and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer potatoes until fork-tender, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Drain potatoes well. Use an electric mixer to mix the potatoes until smooth. Let the potatoes cool (you can refrigerate for quickly cooling).
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a bowl, mix together the soy milk, sugar, eggs, and vanilla. Add to the potatoes.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, cinnamon, and salt. Add to the potato mixture. Mix until smooth.
- Fill the pie crusts with the sweet potato mixture.
- Bake pies for 45 to 50 minutes or until a knife inserted into its center comes out clean.
1. Instead of boiling the potatoes, you can bake them in a 450 F oven for 45 to 60 minutes or until soft enough to mash with a fork.
2. If you tell your kids it is pie and leave out the words sweet potato, they are more likely to take that first bite. After that bite, they'll be hooked and you can talk as much as you like about the pie's ingredients.