This Layered BLT Dip is really delicious served with soft or crisp breadsticks. The flavors are fresh and wonderful, and it's so easy to make.
The recipe basically transforms a bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwich in to an appetizer dip. You can use any kind of lettuce in this easy recipe; I myself like to use butter lettuce or red leaf lettuce because the soft and tender texture of those greens is perfect in the recipe.
You can also use any kind of cheese that you would like instead of the cheddar cheese. Try Havarti, or grated Gruyere or Gouda.
Layered dips are a wonderful way to make an appetizer party more interesting. You can use foods from different cuisines in fun new ways and give your guests a great choice.
You can make most of the recipe ahead of time. Make the cream cheese base, spread it on a serving plate, cover, and refrigerate. Top with the other ingredients, which have been prepared, covered, and refrigerated, just before serving and dig in.
Serve this recipe with breadsticks, with toasted French bread slices (try Toasted Parmesan Garlic Bread for even more flavor), with sturdy potato chips, and with taco chips. It's perfect for the start of a grilled dinner in the summer, and is also delicious in the winter before a meal of roast chicken or meatloaf.
This dip is also wonderful as part of an appetizer buffet. It's perfect for Super Bowl Sunday, or for a gathering of friends after a play or football game. Enjoy every bite.
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup torn lettuce
- 8 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1. Combine the softened cream cheese, mayonnaise, and Parmesan cheese in small bowl and stir until blended.
2. Spread this mixture evenly onto a serving plate. Top with lettuce, cooked bacon, plum tomatoes, green onions, and cheddar cheese.
3. Cover and chill until serving time. This is great served with crisp breadsticks for dipping, along with some chewy Italian bread slices.
4. You can also serve this recipe hot.
Put the cream cheese mixture on an oven safe tray (you could add the bacon at this point if you'd like). Bake it at 350°F for 15-20 minutes or until hot. Top with the cheddar cheese and bake for another 5 minutes until the cheese melts. Then top with bacon, plum tomatoes, lettuce, and green onions and serve.