The blueberry cornmeal cake can be made with fresh or frozen blueberries. This easy loaf cake is a great choice for an everyday family snack, or bake it and serve it as a coffee cake for guests.
The cake is a delicious combination of lemon and blueberry flavors, and it gets nice texture from the cornmeal and yogurt. A beaten egg white incorporates extra air in the batter. A cinnamon sugar blend is sprinkled over the top of the cake before it's baked. Or see the expert tips for a simple lemon glaze.
- 3/4 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen, not thawed
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon vanilla or plain nonfat yogurt (6 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, grated
- 1 whole large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Position a rack in the center of the oven. Heat the oven to 350° F (180° C/Gas 4). Grease and flour a 9-by-5-by-3-inch loaf pan.
- Toss the blueberries with 1 tablespoon of the flour and set aside. This helps keep them from sinking in the batter as the cake bakes.
- In a bowl combine the remaining flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt; blend well.
- Whisk together the yogurt and lemon juice in another small bowl.
- In a mixing bowl whisk together 3/4 cup sugar, oil and lemon zest.
- Add the whole egg and the egg white to the sugar and oil mixture, beating well after each addition. Add the dry ingredients a little at a time, alternating with the yogurt mixture, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Mix until just combined.
- Gently fold in the floured blueberries. Spoon batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Combine remaining sugar and the cinnamon; sprinkle over batter.
- Bake for 25 minutes, then cover the pan loosely with foil. Return the cake to the oven to bake for about 25 to 30 minutes longer, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool cake on wire rack 10 minutes, then turn out and cool completely.
- For best flavor, wrap cake and store overnight.
Glazed Blueberry Cornmeal Loaf: Omit the cinnamon sugar topping and bake as directed. Combine 1 cup of powdered sugar with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. Drizzle over the cooled cake.
You Might Also Like