I love lemon chicken! Lemon seems to compliment the chicken flavor. The spices in this dish are common in Moroccan cuisine. This chicken is not spicy, but it full of flavor. If you don't want to use a whole chicken, you can also use chicken breasts (I prefer on the bone), thighs, and legs.
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 lemon sliced
- zest from 1/2 lemon
- 1 onion quartered
- In a small bowl, combine oil, ginger, coriander, and saffron.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over uncooked chicken. Next, rub oil and spice mixture all over chicken. You can use a basting brush or your hands. I prefer to use my hands.
- Place chicken in a baking dish, breast side up. Place two slices of lemon on top and lemon zest inside the cavity. Also, add one of the onion quarters to the cavity.
- Place remainder lemon slices and onion around the chicken in the baking dish.
- Bake uncovered for 2-2 1/2 hours, depending on the size of the chicken. Check package instructions for approximate cooking time per pound for your chicken.
- Cut and serve!
Lemon Chicken Serving Suggestions
Lemon chicken goes best with white rice. I would add a steamed vegetable like broccoli or green beans with tahini. Serve with limeade or lemonade.
If you have leftover chicken, do not throw it away! You have tomorrow's meal already prepared. You can cut up the chicken and make a pita sandwich. Throw together some lettuce, onions, and your leftover chicken in a pita pocket and add some tahini and you have a delicious lunch or light dinner.