This fresh and pretty dessert combines the favorite and traditional lemon and lime flavors and looks lovely on any dessert table.
The simple vanilla crust is lovely and sweet. The lemon lime layer is gelatin based and made with yogurt and cream cheese scented with fresh lemon and lime juice.
A simple decoration of lemon and lime peels adorns the top. To make the decoration safely edible, using organic produce is advised. If you have the time, I highly recommend making candied citrus peels to replace the fresh ones for an extra special touch.
Be aware this torte needs three hours in the refrigerator to set properly before serving.
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar (white granulated)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup melted unsalted butter
- 1 large organic lemon
- 1 large organic lime
- 3 8-ounce packages of cream cheese
- 11 oz. yogurt (full-fat, plain, Greek or regular varieties)
- 1/2 cup sugar (white granulated )
- 1 package of gelatin
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons cold water
Make the Crust:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and line a 10-inch springform pan with parchment paper.
- Beat together eggs, sugar, vanilla extract and water until foamy.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour and cornstarch. Fold into the egg mixture and mix in the melted butter.
- Pour the mixture into the pan and use a spatula to spread the batter evenly. The mixture will be the consistency of pancake batter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove from oven, let cool.
- Remove the crust completely from springform pan.
- Place the crust on a serving plate and fit a greased cake ring around the layer. If you do not have a torte ring, remove the crust from the pan.
- Lay the crust down on the serving plate and replace the ring from the springform pan around the crust.
Make the Lemon Lime Layer:
- Wash the lemon and lime under hot water and pat dry
- Use a sharp knife to carefully peel small curls off of the lemon and lime rinds.
- Cut the lemon and lime each in half and juice both halves of each.
- Beat the cream cheese and the yogurt together. Add the fresh lemon and lime juice.
- Place the gelatin in a medium sized bowl. Add the cold water and Dissolve the gelatin. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Add the white granulated sugar to the gelatin, whisking quickly until the gelatin has dissolved into the sugar.
- Whisk 2 tablespoons of the cream cheese/yogurt to the gelatin/sugar mixture. Add the rest of the cream cheese-yogurt mixture to the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared ring encircled crust. Place in the refrigerator for 3 hours.
- Remove the torte from the refrigerator. Carefully remove the ring from around the sides.
- Garnish with the lemon and lime citrus peels and serve.