This fabulous lemon pound cake is, without a doubt, one of our most popular pound cakes. The cake is moist and filled with fresh lemon flavor.
The warm cake is brushed with a fresh lemon and sugar sauce, making it even more moist and lemony. The feedback on this cake recipe has been very positive. with some helpful suggestions. See the tips and variations and reader comments below the recipe.
- Heat the oven to 300 F.
- Butter and flour a 10-inch tube cake pan.
- Beat butter in a large bowl at medium speed of an electric hand-held mixer; gradually add oil, beating until well blended. Gradually add sugar, beating well. Continue beating for about 5 minutes, or until very light and fluffy
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add flour to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour. Mix just until blended after each addition.
- Stir in lemon extract.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Bake in the preheated 300 F oven for 1 hour and 35 minutes to 1 hour and 45 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center of the cake comes out clean. The cake will pull away from the sides of the pan slightly.
- Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
- Remove from pan and place directly on a wire rack or invert onto a rack if using a 1-piece pan.
- Combine glaze ingredients, stirring until sugar dissolves.
- Brush lemon glaze on sides of cake and spoon glaze over top, a little at a time.
- Let the cake cool completely before serving.
Tips and Variations
- One reader suggested a dash of salt in the recipe to bring out the lemon flavor.
- Add a few teaspoons of finely grated lemon zest to the cake batter.
- Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla along with the lemon extract, and add the juice and zest of 1 lemon, if desired.
- Bake the cake in a generously greased and floured Bundt cake pan.
- One reader said she baked the cake at 325 F for a little less time. Check with a toothpick at around 1 hour and 15 minutes if you increase the heat to 325 F.
"This was the first time I have ever made a cake from scratch and it turned out so good. I will recommend this site and recipe to all my friends." — Rosa
"Wonderful cake. Easy to make and bake. Great texture and taste." — Howard
"I baked it in a Bundt pan and served it with fresh blueberries and vanilla ice cream. It was so yummy my son had some for breakfast the next morning. Then it was all gone!" — Sue
"This cake has the greatest texture!! I didn't use very much of the glaze as it just seemed too much but the cake is great without anything on it!!" — Judy
You Might Also Like